The average cost of living in Freiberg/Saxony in Germany is between 640 and 760 euro per month. This also depends on your lifestyle and daily expenses.
Semester Fee and Second Degree Fee at TUBAF
The semester fee is to be payed by all students. It amounts to 94 euro and consists of 87 euro social contribution for the Studentenwerk Freiberg (responsible for running the refectory, the halls of residence and for providing various support services and cultural events) and 7 euros for the student council (student representation in university politics).
Second degree fee 300 euro
TUBAF does not charge a tuition fee, regardless of whether a student has German citizenship or not. One exception is the second degree fee of 300 euro per semester. This must be paid if the person in question already has a recognised Master's degree or a recognised university degree equivalent to a Master's degree and is pursuing a Bachelor's, Diplom or Master's degree at TUBAF.
Requirements for the second degree fee:
- Possession of a Master's degree or equivalent university degree
- the present Master's degree (or equivalent degree) is recognised in Germany, i.e. it is equivalent to a Master's degree acquired in Germany
If a person fulfils the requirements for payment of the second degree fee, he or she will be informed of this in writing with the admission letter.
Costs and Expenses
Expectable costs when studying in Freiberg
Living in Freiberg is inexpensive compared to large German cities. How much money a student actually needs per month depends on her/his lifestyle. We recommend reckoning with at least € 750 per month.
- Rent including utilities (heating, hot water, waste disposal, electricity): €200 – €320
- Supply of electricity: €35 – €40 (Note: The price for electric power is included in the rent for residents of a dormitories at the Studentenwerk Freiberg).
- Food, home necessities: approx. €300
- Clothing, shoes: €40
- Public health insurance: about €125 (applies to students under 30 years)
- Phone and mobile internet: circa €20
- Obligatory Germany-wide television and radio fee (obligatory also for students from abroad and for stays of less than one semester): €18.36
- Cultural activities: €20
- Mobility – example: train ticket from Freiberg to Leipzig (107 km) without discount offer: €17
Sum: 760 € to 885 €
Typical daily expenditure – Leisure and culture
- Sports courses at the University Sports Centre cost between €20 and €25 per semester
- A visit to the cinema: €7 to €10 (depending on the day of the week)
- Theatre tickets for students (reduced): 8 €
- A visit to terra mineralia, the university's mineral exhibition, is free for TUBAF students.
Costs for a Residence Permit
The processing fee for a residence permit for up to one year is 100 euro. The fee for a residence permit for more than one year is 110 euro (exceptions apply for DAAD scholarship holders).
Broadcasting License Fee (Rundfunkbeitrag)
Every adult living in Germany for more than three months must pay the broadcasting fee. International students are not exempt from this rule. The amount of the fee is 18,36 euro per month.