Skip to main content

Discover the process for international students interested in applying to our English and German-taught Master's programs.

Application for a German-taught Master's degree program

Bachelor's degree or equivalent

A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) is required to apply successfully to a Master's program. Most of our Masters are consecutive programmes (meaning: they built up on a specific Bachelor's programme of the TUBAF). The content of our Bachelor's degree programmes you find in the examination and study regulations as well as in the module handbook of the respective degree program.

German proficiency

To be admitted to a Master's program taught in German language, adequate command of German language is required. The following rules apply:

  • To be admitted, the certificate Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang – DSH-2 or an equivalent language certificate (see below) is required. Students with the grade DSH-1 in the DSH exam cannot begin to study.
  • At the time of application, applicants must already provide proof of German language skills at level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
  • Students have the option to attend intensive German language courses at the International University Center at B2 and C1 levels. At the end of the C1 course you can take the DSH exam and obtain the DSH-2 certificate.
  • In lieu of the DSH certificate, you do not need to take the German language proficiency test for university admission if you possess one of the following mentioned language certificates or qualifications:
    • You completed your Abitur in Germany
    • You have passed the German language section of the qualification assessment examination ("Feststellungsprüfung").
    • You have the certificate German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministres of Education and Culture.
    • You have the certificate "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" (GDS).
    • You have the certificate "German as a Foreign Language Test" (Test DaF) with  the result intermediate level (TDN 4) in all four sections.
    • You have the certificate "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule".

English proficiency 

Language of Instruction in English: Generally, all Bachelor's and Diploma degree programs at TUBAF are taught in German. However, certain courses within German-taught programs may be conducted in English. Additionally, specific academic literature is available only in English. Therefore, it is recommended to have at least B2-level proficiency in English.

The application for a Master's degree programme takes place via the University portal of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg.

First you have to register in the system. Then the system will guide you through the application process.

Certified translation

A certified translation into German or English is required for each application document if it is not available in at least one of these languages. To apply, you must submit the document in its original language and in the certified translation.
What a "certified translation" is and who may produce it varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official translation, since it is produced by an expert translator approved in the country concerned by the relevant association or body.

Certified copy

A certified copy is usually issued by a German diplomatic mission abroad in your country.

The application deadlines for the winter semester (beginning on October 1st each year) for foreign applicants in German-taught Bachelor's, Diploma, or Master's degree programs can be found on our website "Application for Admission".

Academic Evaluation Centres (Akademische Prüfstellen, APS) in India, China and Vietnam

Since 1 November 2022, prospective students with Indian school or university credits who wish to pursue a preparatory course, Bachelor's or Master's degree in Germany must submit an APS certificate when applying for their visa.
Prospective students who receive a scholarship financed by European funds and doctoral students whose doctoral supervisor does not require an APS certificate for enrolment are exempt from verification.

The APS application is made online:

Contact to the APS office in New Delhi:

Gate No. 3, DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue, 110029 New Delhi, India

Applicants from China have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Beijing as proof of the authenticity of their application documents. 
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.

Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der
Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
100004 Beijing

telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38

Applicants from Vietnam have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Hanoi as proof of the authenticity of their application documents. 
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.

German Embassy Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh
Hanoi | Vietnam

telephone: +84 24 3267 3335

Telephone enquiries Monday – Thursday from 2:00 p.m. only.


Should you have further queries whatsoever, feel free to reach out!

International University Centre "Alexander von Humboldt" (IUZ)
International Office: Akademiestraße 6, 09599 Freiberg
IUZ - Languages: Prüferstraße 2, 09599 Freiberg
international [at]