Skip to main content

If you wish to study at a German university, you will need what is known as the "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" or higher education entrance qualification. This complicated term describes a simple matter: it is the school leaving certificate that qualifies you for higher education studies. In Germany, the general higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) is required for university studies.

How can you find out if your higher education entrance qualification is recognized in Germany? The DAAD's database on admission requirements can provide you with initial guidance. There, you can determine if your qualification:

  • Is sufficient for direct general higher education access.
  • Is only sufficient for access to specific subject areas (i.e., restricted to certain subject groups).
  • Requires proof of one or two successfully completed years of study in your home country.
  • Is not sufficient for higher education access in Germany.

The DAAD's admissions database provides an overview, but you can find detailed information at (under "Choose country" > "Evaluation of certificates"). ANABIN captures and evaluates the common school certificates for each country. It defines which foreign school leaving certificates are sufficient for studying in Germany and which are not. In some cases, certain school leaving certificates may require additional university semesters or even completed degrees for you to be eligible to study in Germany.

If your school leaving certificate does not sufficiently qualify you to take up a course of study in Germany, you are required to take the "Feststellungsprüfung" (university entrance exam). You can prepare for this exam on your own or at a "Studienkolleg".

International applicants have to apply for a Bachelor’s degree or Diplom degree program at TUBAF via uni-assist.
The association uni assist describes itself as “the working service point for international student applications” and cooperates with 180 German universities. It assesses international educational certificates and checks additional criteria set by TUBAF.

A handling fee must be paid to uni assist:

  • Costs for the first desired degree program: 75.00 EUR
  • For each additional desired degree program: 30.00 EUR

Apply now!

Applicants from abroad who have already enrolled at a university in Germany and studied there do not have to apply via uni assist. Instead, these applicants have to use the university portal of TUBAF (free of charge).

All Bachelor's and Diplom degree programs at TUBAF are taught in German. In order to be admitted to these degree courses, you must have sufficient knowledge of German. The following rules apply:

  • To be admitted, the certificate "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang – DSH-2" or an equivalent language certificate (see below) is required. Students with the grade DSH-1 in the DSH exam cannot begin to study.
  • At the time of application, applicants must already provide proof of German language skills at level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
  • Students have the option to attend intensive German language courses at the International University Center at B2 and C1 levels. At the end of the C1 German Intensive Course you can take the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang – DSH" exam and obtain the DSH-2 certificate.

You are not required to take the DSH examination if one of the following cases applies to you:

  • you completed your Abitur in Germany
  • you have passed the German language section of the Qualification Assessment Examination (Feststellungsprüfung at the Studienkolleg)
  • you have the certificate German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministres of Education and Culture
  • you have the certificate "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" (GDS)
  • you have the certificate "German as a Foreign Language Test" (Test DaF) with  the result intermediate level (TDN 4) in all four sections
  • you have the certificate "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule"

Command of English

Individual modules (lectures) in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Since some of the specialist literature is only available in English, it is very important that, in addition to the German language skills required for these degree programmes, English language skills are also available at least at B2 level.

Language of instruction English: In general, all Bachelor's and Diplom degree program at TUBAF are taught in German. Individual courses in German-language degree programmes may be given in English. In addition, certain specialised literature is only available in English. Therefore, it is recommended that students also have a knowledge of English at least at B2 level.

  • Certified copy of university entrance qualification certificate (school leaving certificate)
  • If necessary: certified translation of the university entrance qualification certificate (see Certified translation)
  • German language certificate according to the requirements (see "Language proficiency" above)
  • If applicable: certified copy of degree certificate (e. g. Bachelor’s certificate including Transcript of Records) as well as certified translation, if necessary (see Certified translation)
  • A current photograph of the applicant (required for student card)

Certified Copy and Certified Translation

All educational certificates and documents are to be certified as officially authenticated copies. Foreign language certificates must be submitted in certified German or English translation.

The definition of a certified copy/translation varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official copy/translation, as it is done by a professional translator who has been approved by the relevant association or body in the country concerned.

Verification of the authenticity of certificates and documents

The TU Bergakademie Freiberg reserves the right to check the authenticity of your application documents. Thus, please bring all application documents, which you had to send to uni-assist before, to Freiberg in original or in officially certified copy.

An application for a place at TUBAF is only possible within a certain application period. Different application periods apply to different applicant groups. You can find the application period that applies to you on the website “Application for admission“.

Apply now via uni assist

(Registration and personal uni assist account is required; the account has to be used for all applications, including such for multiple semesters and for different universities.)

Academic Evaluation Centres (Akademische Prüfstellen, APS) in India, China and Vietnam

Since 1 November 2022, prospective students with Indian school or university credits who wish to pursue a preparatory course, Bachelor's or Master's degree in Germany must submit an APS certificate when applying for their visa.
Prospective students who receive a scholarship financed by European funds and doctoral students whose doctoral supervisor does not require an APS certificate for enrolment are exempt from verification.

The APS application is made online:

Contact to the APS office in New Delhi:

Gate No. 3, DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue, 110029 New Delhi, India

Applicants from China have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Beijing as proof of the authenticity of their application documents. 
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.


Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
100004 Beijing

Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38

Applicants from Vietnam have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Hanoi as proof of the authenticity of their application documents. 
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.


German Embassy Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh

Telephone: +84 24 3267 3335

Telephone enquiries Monday – Thursday from 2:00 p.m. only.


Should you have further queries whatsoever, feel free to reach out!

International University Centre "Alexander von Humboldt" (IUZ)
International Office: Akademiestraße 6, 09599 Freiberg
IUZ - Languages: Prüferstraße 2, 09599 Freiberg
international [at]