Open Access at TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Open Access means unrestricted, free of charge access to scientific documents on the web. The authors who opt for it, will reach a wide readership and enable the rapid dissemination of research results.
It is possible to publish papers in a commercial publishing house and archive them as Open Access. If you plan this, you should transfer non-exclusive rights of use or make additional agreements with the publisher to retain the right to deposit your work on a non-commercial repository. The SHERPA/RoMEO database informs about publisher’s policies regarding Open Access.
We have concluded contracts and made membership agreements with some publishers. This gives researchers of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg advantages in the area of open access publishing.
Primary Publication - the Gold Road to Open Access
Gold Open Access refers to the primary publication of scientific works available free of charge, e.g. in an open access journal, an open access monograph or a conference proceeding. Please find more information about Gold OA in general and Gold OA at TU BAF.
Self Archiving - the Green Road to Open Access
Green Open Access enables authors to provide documents that are already published in a closed-access journal or monograph on an institutional or disciplinary Open Access document repository. Please find more information about Green OA in general and Green OA at TU BAF.
OpenAccess Policy of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Open Access is part of the research funding at the TU BAF.
As part of funded projects, e.g. HORIZON 2020, the publication of the project results as Open Access is often required, and financial resources may also be made available for this.
OpenAccess Policies of third party funders
Sherpa JULIETprovides an overview of research funders and their conditions for the open access publication of research results and research data.
Unfortunately, there is an increasing number of „black sheep“ among the Open Access publishers. They send masses of emails to potential authors, inviting them to submit papers to formerly unknown journals. The usual quality standards are neglected, because the only aim is the publication fee the author has to pay.
We regret these trends and offer our assistance in publishing your papers in trusted and high quality open access media.
Please use for example:
- Beall's List of Predatory Journals and Publishers
- DOAJ - Directory of Open Access Journals
- Think.Check.Submit - „Choose the right journal for your research” – Checklist for finding trustworthy journals for the publication of your research results
Statement of your university membership and your own name
In order to both increase the visibility of the research results of our University and to ensure the correct attribution of the authors, information on the affiliation should be given uniformly in publications. According to § 1 of our basic regulations, the university name should be stated as follows:
Technische Universität Bergakademie FreibergThis term must also be used in the English-speaking world. The approriate institute can also be specified. The website of the Department Communication offers a good overview of the German and English names. A standardized specification of one's own name in scientific publications is also recommended. This applies particularly to names with prefixes, double names, several first names, etc. The establishment of an author identification can be helpful, e.g. the Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID). The setup is free of charge and requires little time. Some publishers even require an ORCID iD when submitting publications. The following video informs about the ORCID iD:
- BMBF openAccess Initiative: With the open access strategy, the BMBF wants to gradually make open access a standard of academic publishing.
- CC-Lizenzen Information platform on CC licenses for Open Access publications.
- DOAB Directory of Open Access Books.
- Open Access Button: With the help of this free extension for the Firefox browser, free access to publications can be found. It is also possible to search directly in the bibliographic database.
- Plan S Strategy project by research funding agencies to strengthen open access.
- Thinkchecksubmit.org „Choose the right journal for your research” – Checklist for finding trustworthy journals for the publication of your research results.
Martina Obst, Cornelia Rau
Team Open Access
Telefon / Phone +49 3731 39-4327
ermub [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de