Master Mechanical and Process Engineering
|Faculty||Fakultät 4 - Maschinenbau, Verfahrens- und Energietechnik|
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Standard period of study||4 Semester|
|Start of studies||Wintersemester|
Bachelor degree or an equivalent degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering or other comparable studies.
TOEFL with at least 90 points (internet based test), IELTS with at least 6.5 or equivalent English language certificates.
|Application deadline||15 March|
|Tuition fees||There are no tuition fees.|
Nowadays most of the technical solutions are based on scientific analysis of complex problems and the development of technical innovations.
This degree programme leads to advanced knowledge and skills, methodical and technical expertise in the field of Mechanical and Process Engineering. It combines knowledge from both mechanical and process specifics – machinery and plants with methods of process engineering.
After completing the program students will be capable to identify relevant information and problems. Finally students will be able to make conclusions with regard to further research and development as well as identify expertise from other related disciplines. Furthermore, students will acquire skills, necessary to be part of interdisciplinary groups.
In the first semester trainings in Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics, Particle Technology, Process Equipment, Endurance and Design are compulsory in order to bring all students to the same academic background.
The second semester provides the theoretical framework. In order to develop self-reliant scientific working techniques students are required to work on projects in small teams. Interacting with university scientists and engineers can earn additional knowledge and experience.
Familiarization with modern design methods and at least one numerical tool is the content of the third semester.
Beyond that basic courses in management, economy and finance are offered as electives.
During the fourth semester the students will finally work on their research oriented Master Thesis to be completed with presentation and defence.
The degree programmes "International Master of Science in Engineering, Entrepreneurship and Resources" (ENTER as part of the EIT Raw Materials) and "Master course in Georesources Engineering" – Erasmus Mundus programme in the EIT Raw Materials, EMerald) are integrated into the Master programme Mechanical and Process Engineering at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Students of ENTER and EMerald can complete their third semester at TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
The graduates will be well prepared to pursue their successful careers in academia or research centers. In addition, they will fulfill the requirements to work in many industrial areas such as automotive, metallurgy, materials manufacturing and processing.
How to apply
- At least six semesters of first university degree qualifying for a profession (e.g. completed Bachelor degree) in mechanical engineering, process engineering or comparable fields
- English language proficiency must be proven by a recognised language certificate such as
- TOEFL (90 points internet based test)
- IELTS academic with a result of at least 6.5
- or by an equivalent language certificate
This does not apply for international applicants whose native language is English.
Please note: A qualification assessment procedure is used to select suitable applicants for the degree programme. In the fields of mechanics, design, thermodynamics and fluid dynamics, very good to good performance is expected.
Application for the winter semester 2021/2022
The application is made in two steps:
- Going through a pre-selection process via online registration
The registration for 2021 is open from the first of January 2021.
- Sending the application documents: If you have successfully passed the pre-selection, you will receive an acceptance confirmation by e-mail. In this you will be asked to submit the actual application. In this case, please proceed with the following steps.
If the post mail services in your country do not operate reliably due to the Covid-19 pandemic, you can apply by e-mail.
In this case, please include all application documents in one pdf-file and name the file after the following pattern:
Send the application file to the e-mail address of the Admissions Office zulassungsbuerozuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de before the application deadline 15 April 2021.
Please arrange the required documents in the pdf file in the following order:
If you are already studying at a German university, please also enclose the following documents with your application:
- Bachelor´s certificate with Transcript of Records
- if applicable: Master´s degree with Transcript of Records
- if applicable (applicants from India): Diploma Degree with Transcript of Records
- Proof of English language proficiency: IELTS or TOEFL certificate
- Letter of Interest for Joining the International Master Programme, maximum 1 page
- Acceptance e-mail confirming your pre-selection (see above)
9. Certificate of enrolment from the German higher education institution
10. Current transcript of records
11. if applicable: Complete copy of the residence permit from the Foreigners' Registration Office
Note that you shall not send any recommendation letters or non-academic certificates.
You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application by e-mail within two weeks. It will contain your application number which you should state in all further correspondence with our university.
We receive numerous applications. Please note that there may be delays in processing your application and even a rejection if your application documents are incomplete or if your application deviates in any other way from the specifications described here. In your own interest, please make every effort to implement the above specifications in the best possible way.
Regularly, the application documents have to be send by mail to the Admission Office. The address is:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg