Master Mechanical and Process Engineering
|Faculty||Fakultät 4 - Maschinenbau, Verfahrens- und Energietechnik|
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Standard period of study||4 Semester|
|Start of studies||Wintersemester|
Bachelor degree or an equivalent degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering or other comparable studies.
TOEFL with at least 90 points (internet based test), IELTS with at least 6.5 or equivalent English language certificates.
|Application deadline||15 April|
|Tuition fees||There are no tuition fees.|
Nowadays most of the technical solutions are based on scientific analysis of complex problems and the development of technical innovations.
The degree program leads to advanced knowledge and skills, methodical and technical expertise in the field of Mechanical and Process Engineering. It combines knowledge from both mechanical and process specifics – machinery and plants with methods of process engineering.
After completing the program students will be capable to identify relevant information and problems. Finally students will be able to make conclusions with regard to further research and development as well as identify expertise from other related disciplines. Furthermore, students will acquire skills, necessary to be part of interdisciplinary groups.
For further information visit the website of the Master program.
In the first semester trainings in Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics, Particle Technology, Process Equipment, Endurance and Design are compulsory in order to bring all students to the same academic background.
The second semester provides the theoretical framework. In order to develop self-reliant scientific working techniques students are required to work on projects in small teams. Interacting with university scientists and engineers can earn additional knowledge and experience.
Familiarization with modern design methods and at least one numerical tool is the content of the third semester.
Beyond that basic courses in management, economy and finance are offered as electives.
During the fourth semester the students will finally work on their research oriented Master Thesis to be completed with presentation and defence.
The graduates will be well prepared to pursue their successful careers in academia or research centers. In addition, they will fulfill the requirements to work in many industrial areas such as automotive, metallurgy, materials manufacturing and processing.
How to apply
- At least six semesters of first university degree qualifying for a profession (e.g. completed Bachelor degree) in mechanical engineering, process engineering or comparable fields
- English language proficiency must be proven by a recognised language certificate such as
- TOEFL (90 points internet based test)
- IELTS academic with a result of at least 6.5
- or by an equivalent language certificate
This does not apply for international applicants whose native language is English.
Application procedure and application documents
The application is made in two steps:
1. Online registration prior to the actual application
2. Only on request following the online registration: The following application documents must be sent by post to TU Bergakademie Freiberg:
- Student Application Form for the Master Program in Mechanical and Process Engineering
- A certificate of the present university degree including a transcript of records in officially certified copy and, if necessary, in an official translation into German or English.
- Proof of English language skills as specified under "Admission requirements".
- Letter of motivation of maximum one page, setting out the reasons for applying for the Master programme Mechanical and Process Engineering
- Where applicable, supporting documents relating to specific professional training or experience, work placements or similar activities relevant to the course of studies
- Current passport photo
- Confirmation of Enrolment at the German university
- Transcript of Record
- Copy of the Residence Permit (complete document)
The degree programme begins with the winter semester on 1 October. The application deadline is 15 April.
The application documents have to be send by post to the Admission Office. The address is:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg