How to apply for a Bachelor or Diplom degree programme

1. Application via uni assist

As an international applicant you have to apply for a Diplom or Bachelor degree programme at TU Bergakademie Freiberg via uni-assist e. V.

Apply at TU BAF by using the uni assist portal:

(Registration and personal uni assist account is required; the account has to be used for all applications, including such for multiple semesters and for different universities.)

1. 1. About uni assist

The association uni assist describes itself as "the working service point for international student applications" and cooperates with 180 German universities.
Uni-assist assesses international educational certificates and checks additional criteria set by TU Bergakademie Freiberg.

1. 2. Handling fees at uni assist

Fees must be paid irrespective of the result of the checking procedure.

In one application semester these handling fees apply:

  • Costs for the first desired course of study: 75.00 EUR
  • For each additional desired course of study: 30.00 EUR

1. 3. Exception – application without uni assist

Applicants from abroad who have already enrolled at a university in Germany and studied there do not have to apply via uni assist. Instead, these applicants must use the online portal of TU BAF (free of charge).

1. 4. Required application documents

  • Certified copy of university entrance qualification certificate (school leaving certificate)
  • If necessary: certified translation of the university entrance qualification certificate (see Certified translation)
  • German language certificate according to the required proficiency level
  • If applicable: certified copy of degree certificate (e. g. Bachelor certificate including Transcript of Records) as well as certified translation, if necessary (see Certified translation)
  • A current photograph of the applicant (required for student card)

1. 5. Certified copy and certified translation

All educational certificates and documents are to be certified as officially authenticated copies. Foreign language certificates must be submitted in certified German or English translation.

The definition of a certified copy/translation varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official copy/translation, as it is done by a professional translator who has been approved by the relevant association or body in the country concerned.

Top of page

1. 6. Application deadlines

Most study programmes begin in the winter semester (October 1). If you would like to start your studies in the summer semester (1 April), please check the web page study programmes to see if this is possible for your desired study programme.

The following application deadlines apply:

A) Application deadlines in case a study preparatory course (e.g. German language intensive course or Studienkolleg/Preparatory College) is required:

  • 30 April for the following winter semester
  • 31 October for the following summer semester

Note: These deadlines also apply to those applicants who wish to take the DSH exam at TU Bergakademie Freiberg immediately before the start of their studies.

B) Application deadlines in case you are ready to study in Germany and in German language without further preparation:*

  • 15 July for the following winter semester
  • 15 January for the following summer semester

(* This means that you already have direct access to higher education in Germany and the DSH-2 certificate or an equivalent language certificate)

Top of page

2. Originality of application documents

TU Bergakademie Freiberg reserves the right to verify the authenticity of your educational qualifications. Therefore you have to bring the original documents or certified copies of your university entrance qualification, degree certificate/s as well as language certificate/s to Freiberg.


Top of page

3. Recognition of higher education entrance qualification

Those who wish to study at a German university require a "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" or "higher education entrance qualification". It is a school-leaving certificate confirming that you are qualified to study at a university. In Germany, after students graduate from secondary school, they receive a general university entrance qualification called "Abitur".

How can you determine whether your higher education entrance qualification will be recognized in Germany? – The database at provides detailed information with an extensive list of countries and school-leaving certificates (available in German only).

Top of page

4. Foundation course (Studienkolleg)

If your school leaving certificate is not sufficient for university admission in Germany, you will have to take a qualification assessment examination in Germany, the so called Feststellungsprüfung. You can prepare for this examination in a foundation course at a preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

A foundation course is an educational programme to prepare a student in several crucial subjects for the degree programme. It includes also German language education.

However, there is no Studienkolleg in Freiberg. Applicants with conditional admission to a degree programme at TU Bergakademie Freiberg can attend the Studienkolleg Sachsen, which belongs to the University of Leipzig.
Procedure: First apply via uni assist for the desired degree programme via uni assist. If successful, you will receive conditional admission and an invitation to the Studienkolleg Sachsen in Leipzig. Only with conditional admission and an invitation will you receive access to the Studienkolleg.
Costs: Participation in the placement test and the focus courses is free of charge. Source:


Top of page

5. Language proficiency

5. 1. Command of German

All bachelor and diploma programmes at TU Bergakademie Freiberg are taught in German. In order to be admitted to these degree courses, you must have sufficient knowledge of German. The following rules apply:

You are not required to take the DSH examination if one of the following cases applies to you:

  • you completed your Abitur in Germany
  • you have passed the German language section of the Qualification Assessment Examination (Feststellungsprüfung at the Studienkolleg)
  • you have the certificate German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministres of Education and Culture
  • you have the certificate "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" (GDS)
  • you have the certificate "German as a Foreign Language Test" (Test DaF) with  the result intermediate level (TDN 4) in all four sections
  • you have the certificate "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule"

Top of page

5. 2. Command of English

Individual modules (lectures) in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Since some of the specialist literature is only available in English, it is very important that, in addition to the German language skills required for these degree programmes, English language skills are also available at least at B2 level.


Top of page

6. Information for applicants from certain countries

6. 1. Information for Chinese applicants

In addition to the complete application applicants from China have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Beijing concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed. The address of the Board of Examiners is:

Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der
Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
100004 Beijing

Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38
Fax: +86 10 65 90 71 40
E-mail: kuapsat163bj [dot] dom Diese E-Mail Adresse ist gegen Spam Bots geschützt, Sie müssen Javascript aktivieren, damit Sie sie sehen können


Top of page

6. 2. Information for Moroccan applicants

The precondition for the accreditation of Moroccan applicants for the TU Bergakademie Freiberg is the certification of qualification for university matriculation (Baccalaureat de l’enseignement secondaire) with grade „assez bien“ or better or the certification of qualification for university matriculation with grade „passable“ together with at least one successful year of studies in home country.


Top of page


6. 3. Information for Vietnamese applicants

In addition to the complete application applicants from Vietnam have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Hanoi concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed.

The address of the Board of Examiners is:

Deutsche Botschaft in Hanoi - APS
29 Tran Phu
Q. Ba Dinh



Top of page