Skip to main content


If you apply to study at Freiberg University you need certified copies of your certificates, e.g. proof of university entrance qualification (secondary school leaving certificate) or, in the case of university change, proof of already completed university courses including overview of subjects and grades, or certificates of language courses

All documents must be submitted as officially certified German translations, unless they are written in English or French language.

Any public body that has an official seal (round stamp with emblem) can officially certify the certificate. This includes, among others: issuing institutions (e.g. schools, universities), ministry of education in your country of origin, German embassies or consulates, public authorities and notaries which are authorised to supply official certifications in your country of origin. 

We do not accept certifications from: lawyers, associations, auditors and accountants (even if they carry a seal). 

We accept translations from persons or institutions authorised to make translations under oath or admissible in court. Official certifications and translations are subject to a fee.

The official certification must include:

  1. an endorsement certifying that the copy is identical to the original (certification endorsement),
  2. the original signature of the certifying person and
  3. the original official stamp. An official seal usually contains an emblem. A simple written stamp is not sufficient.

Please note: Copied certifications will not be accepted at our university.

If the copy consists of several individual sheets, there must be a proof that each page is from the same document. It is sufficient to put the certification mark and signature on one page, if all sheets (e.g. scaled) are placed on top of each other, stapled and sealed in such a way that a part of the official seal appears on each page (see illustration in the upper left part of the sample). Each page can also be authenticated separately. In this case, make sure that your name appears on each page of the original. If it is not indicated everywhere, it must be included in the certification endorsements, together with a reference to the type of document. If there is a copy on the front and back of a sheet and the content of both sides is important, the certification notation must also refer to the front and back or the front and back must be certified separately. If there is a seal impressed in the paper (a so-called embossed seal) on the original, it will usually not be visible on the copy. The certification note on the copy must then be extended to show that the original had an embossed seal of the issuer of the certificate/document.