Health and accident insurance

Health insurance

Everyone who studies in Germany must have health insurance. When you officially enrol at the university, you will be asked to show proof of health insurance coverage.

Citizens of EU/EAA countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and Macedonia

It is possible that your health insurance policy at home is also valid in Germany. This is usually the case for public health insurance policies in EU member states, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and Macedonia. Germany has signed social insurance agreements with these countries to ensure cross-border coverage. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you are also insured in Germany.

Citizens of other countries

In some circumstances, domestic and international health insurance policies from private foreign providers may also be recognised in Germany. Enquire at your health insurance provider for more information before coming to Germany. If your insurance policy, from your home country is recognised (be it private or public), you will have to provide a statement at enrolment confirming that you are indeed exempt from mandatory German public health insurance coverage. To do this, visit the branch office of a German insurance provider before you enrol and request this statement confirming your present coverage. But remember, once your policy is recognised, you will not be able to switch to a public helth insurance provider for the duration of your studies.

If your health insurance policy from home is not recognised in Germany, you are required to take out a policy in Germany. For students under 30, who have studied no longer than 14 semesters, public health insurance coverage costs approximately 80 Euros per month. If you are over 29 or have studied longer than 14 semesters, your monthly premium increases to 160 to 180 Euros per month. Beginning students older than 29 are not allowed to take a public health insurance policy - their only option is a private policy.

Students, who are preparing for studies in German intensive language courses for study preparation have to take out a health insurance policy with a private health insurance company. When starting studies after the German language courses, you can switch to a public health insurance provider.

Whatever the case, be sure to clarify your health insurance status before you come to Germany.

Link: Health insurance for international students (information at this webpage available in 10 languages)


top of page


Accident Insurance

As a student, you are insured for any accident which occurs in connection with your studies and when you are on the way to or from the university campus. This coverage is provided by the Municipal Accident Insurance Federation of Saxony. Additional insurance coverage is available at private insurance companies.

Also international trainees at TU Bergakademie Freiberg are automatically accident insured. It is important that a trainee is always properly instructed by his or her supervisor at the workplace (e.g. in the handling of test rigs and measuring instruments) and that his or her task is clearly defined.


top of page