6th European Conference on Scientific Diving 2021
Dear scientific divers,
Due to the Corona pandemic, we had to postpone the 6th European Conference on Scientific Diving originally scheduled to take place in April 2020. We had hoped to welcome you in person in Freiberg in April this year. Unfortunately, because of ongoing restrictions, this will not be possible. In consultation with the European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP) and the Scientific Committee of the conference we agreed to host a solely virtual conference on 21 & 22 April 2021. Due to the format change, we changes the conference fee to 50 Euros for both days.
The conference programme comprises 37 talks and 16 posters.
You can only participate if you have registered and paid for the conference. You will then get a PIN / personal link, which enables you to participate.
Although it is possible to use Zoom via any browser it is highly recommended to install the Zoom app (which you can download and install for free), as some features only work by using the app.
For further questions please contact us via ecsd6sdc [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (email).
In Freiberg, we will have the following sessions.
- Survey Methods
- Technique / Training / Harmonizing
For all accepted contributions - both posters and talks - we offer the opportunity to submit an extended abstract of 4 to 10 pages in addition to the one-page abstract, which will be published in the open access journal Freiberg Online Geoscience (FOG), which is recognized by Scopus.com and other renowned international databases.
- Dr. Piotr Balazy, Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, Poland
- Prof. Dr. Franz Brümmer, Universität Stuttgart, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Tobias Fieback, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Broder Merkel, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Massimo Ponti, University of Bologna and Italian Association of Scientific Divers
- Dr. Martin Sayer, Head of the West Scotland Centre for Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine, UK
The ECSD in its current form was initiated in 2015 by the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP). Their aim was to combine the “International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD)” and the international workshop “Research in Shallow Marine Water Systems” into one general annual meeting.
The first ECSD took place in Stuttgart, Germany, in 2015. The following conferences were hosted in Kristineberg, Sweden (2016), Funchal, Madeira/Portugal (2017), Orkney, Scotland/UK (2018), and Sopot, Poland (2019), respectively.
The inaugural International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD) took place in Bremerhaven, Germany, in 2007. The second and third symposia were held in Helsinki, Finnland (2009), and Lecce, Italy (2011), respectively.
The International “Workshop Research in Shallow Marine and Fresh Water Systems” initially took place in Freiberg, Germany, in 2009. The second workshop followed in Milazzo, Italy, in 2010, and the third edition happened in Bremen, Germany, in 2013.
The aforementioned former gatherings aimed at facilitating technical and scientific discussions amongst international scientific divers. Thereby, the focus was on methodology and equipment used for scientific diving investigations.
European Conference on Scientific Diving (ECSD)
- 2019: Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, Poland, 24 - 27 April
- 2018: Heriot Watt University, Stromness Town Hall, Orkney, Scotland, 09 - 12 April
- 2017: Clube Naval do Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 22 - 23 March
- 2016: Lovén Centre, Kristineberg, Sweden, 09 - 11 May
- 2015: University of Stuttgart, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomolecular Systems, Stuttgart, Germany, 02 - 03 March
International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD)
- 2011: 3rd ISOSD of the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP), Porto Cesareo, Lecce, Italy, 09 - 12 November
- 2009: 2nd ISOSD of the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP), University of Helsinki, Tvärminne Zoological Station, Helsinki, Finland, 06 - 08 October
- 2007: 1st ISOSD of the German Commission for Scientific Diving (Kommission Forschungstauchen Deutschland / KFT), Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Sciences, Bremerhaven, Germany, 15 - 16 October
International Workshop “Research in Shallow Marine Water Systems”
- 2013: University of Bremen, Scientific Working Group Geochemistry and Hydrogeology, Bremen, Germany, 14 - 15 February
- 2010: Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Milazzo, Italy, 03 - 10 October
- 2009: TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Institute for Geology, Freiberg, Germany, 14 - 16 May