6th European Conference on Scientific Diving 2020
The 6th European Conference on Scientific Diving (ECSD) 2020 will be held in Freiberg, Germany from 23 to 25 April 2020. The conference will be organized and conducted by the Scientific Diving Center of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
Every year, the European Conference on Scientific Diving (ECSD) provides an international platform for the community of European leaders in the field of scientific diving, early stage researchers and students to present results from their most recent underwater research. Furthermore, the event serves as a platform to learn about and discuss newly developed technologies and safety issues.
In Freiberg, we will have the following sessions, but we also welcome other topics:
- Survey Methods
- Scientific Deep and Cold Water Diving
We will give space as well to poster sessions with the opportunity of short presentations to discuss challenges and results in more detail, thus all presenters of talks are invited to bring a poster along as well.
For all accepted contributions - both posters and talks - we offer the opportunity to submit an extended abstract of 4 to 10 pages in addition to the one-page abstract, which will be published in the open access journal Freiberg Online Geoscience (FOG), which is recognized by Scopus.com and other renowned international databases.
- Dr. Piotr Balazy, Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, Poland
- Prof. Dr. Franz Brümmer, Universität Stuttgart, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Tobias Fieback, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Broder Merkel, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Massimo Ponti, University of Bologna and Italian Association of Scientific Divers
- Dr. Martin Sayer, Head of the West Scotland Centre for Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine, UK
The ECSD in its current form was initiated in 2015 by the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP). Their aim was to combine the “International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD)” and the international workshop “Research in Shallow Marine Water Systems” into one general annual meeting.
The first ECSD took place in Stuttgart, Germany, in 2015. The following conferences were hosted in Kristineberg, Sweden (2016), Funchal, Madeira/Portugal (2017), Orkney, Scotland/UK (2018), and Sopot, Poland (2019), respectively.
The inaugural International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD) took place in Bremerhaven, Germany, in 2007. The second and third symposia were held in Helsinki, Finnland (2009), and Lecce, Italy (2011), respectively.
The International “Workshop Research in Shallow Marine and Fresh Water Systems” initially took place in Freiberg, Germany, in 2009. The second workshop followed in Milazzo, Italy, in 2010, and the third edition happened in Bremen, Germany, in 2013.
The aforementioned former gatherings aimed at facilitating technical and scientific discussions amongst international scientific divers. Thereby, the focus was on methodology and equipment used for scientific diving investigations.
European Conference on Scientific Diving (ECSD)
- 2019: Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, Poland, 24 - 27 April
- 2018: Heriot Watt University, Stromness Town Hall, Orkney, Scotland, 09 - 12 April
- 2017: Clube Naval do Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 22 - 23 March
- 2016: Lovén Centre, Kristineberg, Sweden, 09 - 11 May
- 2015: University of Stuttgart, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomolecular Systems, Stuttgart, Germany, 02 - 03 March
International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving (ISOSD)
- 2011: 3rd ISOSD of the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP), Porto Cesareo, Lecce, Italy, 09 - 12 November
- 2009: 2nd ISOSD of the Marine Board European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP), University of Helsinki, Tvärminne Zoological Station, Helsinki, Finland, 06 - 08 October
- 2007: 1st ISOSD of the German Commission for Scientific Diving (Kommission Forschungstauchen Deutschland / KFT), Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Sciences, Bremerhaven, Germany, 15 - 16 October
International Workshop “Research in Shallow Marine Water Systems”
- 2013: University of Bremen, Scientific Working Group Geochemistry and Hydrogeology, Bremen, Germany, 14 - 15 February
- 2010: Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Milazzo, Italy, 03 - 10 October
- 2009: TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Institute for Geology, Freiberg, Germany, 14 - 16 May