Download the leaflet Exchange students worldwide
file format: pdf, file size: 457 KB, language: English
Content: Study abroad in Freiberg, Application formalities, choosing modules, further preparations for your stay, About Freiberg and the region.
Download the fact sheet for exchange students in the academic year 2022/2023
file format: pdf, two pages, language: English
Content: Contact information TUBAF, International Office, Exchange programme information
Students from a partner university of TU Bergakademie Freiberg have to apply online. Please fill in the application form of the application portal Mobility Online.
Hint: At the field "Host institution > Study programme" please choose a degree programme of TU Bergakademie Freiberg that suits best for your study programme. Your choice will not tie you to this specific programme. You still may choose modules from other degree programmes for your exchange semester.
Applicants under the Erasmus+ programme have to follow the instructions on this website: Erasmus+ incoming students.)
You will receive an automatic generated e-mail from Mobility Online. Please follow the steps to create your personal applicant account. Later, you have to upload the following application documents:
- Signed application form which has been generated by the application system Mobility Online
- Official certificate of German or English language proficiency, depending on the language of instruction in the desired course of study.
- The minimum level of English language proficiency is B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- The minimum level of German language proficiency is B1
- The language certificate has to be from an approved language school, university or equivalent.
- No language certificate is needed if you have no intentions of taking exams during your study in Freiberg (e. g. doing project work in preparation of thesis).
- Learning Agreement or study plan (if you don't have a Learning Agreement form, you can use this template and adapt it to your needs)
- Enrolment certificate: Proof that the applicant is currently enrolled as a student
- Transcript of Records in English or German language
- 1 passport photo (required later for the student ID card)
All documents must be in German or English language. If not, you have to add a certified translation into these languages.
a) For applicants that don't require a visa to study in Germany:
- Study start winter semester: 31 May
- Study start summer semester: 30 November
b) For applicants that require a visa to study in Germany:
- Study start winter semester: 30 April
- Study start summer semester: 31 October
The teaching units of a degree course of study at TU Bergakademie Freiberg are called modules. In the module handbook ("Modulhandbuch") you can find detailed information to each module, such as: the description of the content of each module, the number of credit points, the lecturer's name, the semester in which a module takes place, the components of the module (eg lecture, seminar, exercise, excursion ...) and the recommended accompanying literature.
Recommended steps to make a study plan: First choose from the available Bachelor's or Master's degree programme, second look for suitable modules that are available in the specific semester you are planning to study in Freiberg (summer or winter semester) in it's module handbook.
You can use these sources of information:
- All degree programmes at the TUBAF
- Information about the Master's programmes in English, offered at TU Bergakademie Freiberg (web page contains short descriptions and links to further information)
- Overview of modules (lectures) in English language:
- Advanced Materials Analysis (AMA)
- Advanced Mineral Resources Development (AMRD)
- Computational Materials Science (CMS)
- Groundwater Management
- International Business and Resources in Emerging Markets (IBRE)
- Mathematics for Data and Resource Sciences
- Mechanical and Process Engineering (MPE)
- Metallic Materials Technology (MMT)
- Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management (SINReM)
- Sustainable Mining and Remediation Management (MORE)
- Technology and Application of Inorganic Engineering Materials (TAIEM)
Important notes / Wichtige Hinweise
- Above you find the list of modules of each study programme taught in English.
- Available in which semester? – Each module description contains the information whether a module is available in winter semester or in summer semester – see the line "Frequency: yearly in the winter semester/summer semester".
- Duration of a module – The duration of each module can be one or more semesters. It is indicated in the module description (e. g. Duration: 1 semester). Usually it is not possible to split a module and earn for example 3 ECTS in one semester instead of 6 ECTS in two.
- Bachelor or Master module? – Each module description displays a module code in the first line (e. g. MetMat. MA. Nr. 3213). The module code contains the letters "BA." or "MA." which indicates whether it is a Bachelor or a Master module.
Since only Master's programmes and no Bachelor's programmes taught in English are offered at the TUBAF, English-language bachelor's modules are an exception.
- Die oben verlinkten PDF-Dateien beinhalten Module, die in englischer Sprache gelehrt werden, geordnet nach Studiengang.
- In welchem Semester verfügbar? – Jede Modulbeschreibung enthält die Information, ob ein Modul im Wintersemester oder im Sommersemester verfügbar ist – siehe in der Zeile "Frequency: yearly in the winter semester/summer semester".
- Die Dauer eines Moduls – Die Dauer eines Moduls kann ein oder mehrere Semester betragen. In der Modulbeschreibung ist die Dauer angegeben (Beispiel: Duration: 1 semester). In der Regel ist es nicht möglich, ein Modul aufzuteilen und zum Beispiel 3 ECTS in einem Semester dafür zu erhalten, statt 6 ECTS in zwei Semestern.
- Bachelor- oder Master-Modul? – Jede Modulbeschreibung verfügt über einen Modul-Code in der Kopfzeile (Beispiel: MetMat. MA. Nr. 3213). Der Modul-Code beinhaltet die Buchstaben "BA" oder "MA" und gibt damit an, ob es sich um ein Bachelor- oder um ein Master-Modul handelt.
Da an der TUBAF nur Masterstudiengänge und keine Bachelorstudiengänge in englischer Sprache angeboten werden, sind englischsprachige Bachelor-Module eine Ausnahme.
5. Online Course Catalogue
Please note: The upcoming course catalogue will be published shortly before the start of each semester. But you can use the (representative) course catalogues of former summer and winter semesters. (You can choose the current semester in the Online Course Catalogue by using the drop down menu at the homepage.)
6. Official module handbooks and study regulationsPlease note: Choose the latest version of a document.
- Mixing Bachelor's- und Master's modules often leads to overlappings in the timetable. Please avoid it by choosing appropriate modules (either from Bachelor's or Master's degree programmes).
- The amount of modules from other fields of study than you own must not exceed 10 ECTS credit points.
A place in a dormitory is probably the best type of accommodation for exchange students. Located on campus you can reach the faculty buildings with it's lecture halls, the library and the canteen as well as the city centre on foot.
Types of rooms
There are nine housing complexes run by the Studentenwerk Freiberg.
The price range extends from 195 to 380 euros/month including additional costs, depending on the apartment's equipment and size.
Questions regarding the dormitory will be answered in the FAQ section.
Please use the online application of the Studentenwerk Freiberg to apply. Please apply at least two month prior to your arrival in Freiberg.
The International Office runs a Buddy programme. It provides help for new international students in Freiberg. Experienced German or international students engage themselves on a voluntary basis. A student Buddy will, for example, will get your dormitory key in advance, pick you up at the train station in Freiberg, accompany you to the Residents' Registration Office, the bank or health insurance company as well as to the Foreigners' Registration Office – wherever you have to take care of formalities.
This service is free of charge.
Please register at the website of the Buddy programme, if you are interested.
As a student of TU Bergakademie Freiberg you can attend German language courses during the semester for free.
In March 2020 a German course A1.1 will take place. The duration is three weeks and the course fee is 350 euros. In the course you will acquire 50% of the language proficiency level A1. This is the connection to the German course A1.2, which is free of charge for students and takes place in the summer semester.Further information and registration: Acatrain.net
For further questions please ask your contact at the International Office:
Exchange students, guest scientists
Akademiestraße 6, room EG.21
Phone +49 3731 39-3191
torsten [dot] mayeriuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Support of international students in exchange programmes (Double Degree, from partner universities) and guest scientists from abroad