Advanced Mineral Resources Development
- Introducing the AMRD programme
- Programme structure
- Official study documents of the AMRD programme
- About the partner universities of TU Bergakademie Freiberg
The aim of the joint Master degree programme “Advanced Mineral Resources Development” – AMRD is the acquisition of knowledge and competence in developing sustainability and environmentally friendly methods in mining and mine remediation under economical considerations. There is a growing world wide need for well trained experts in the field of mining and mine remediation.
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 4 semesters (2 years)
- Study locations: Montanuniversität Leoben (Austria), TU Bergakademie Freiberg (Germany), National Mining University (Ukraine), University of Mining and Technology Beijing (China), Amirkabir University of Technology Tehran (Iran), The Instituto Superior Técnico of the Universidade de Lisboa (Portugal)
Degree: International Master of Science, Joint Master Degree
Start: winter semester
The AMRD programme imparts to the students knowledge and skills for independent scientific work in the field of environmentally friendly mining, as well as mine remediation, with economic aspects.
The degree course combines natural, engineering, and economic sciences. The course at the partner universities encourages the acquisition of intercultural competence, a key qualification for managerial staff in global natural resource companies. With the master’s dissertation, the students show that they are able to collect the relevant information to their subject, develop it, and through this attain new insights. Their scientific competence makes it possible for them to accept managerial responsibility. The students are motivated to deal critically with the methods and procedures of their subject. They should themselves be aware of the responsibility, which they have through their knowledge and abilities, so as to contribute to the accomplishment of social and global problems with an eye to sustainability and environmental friendliness.
The scientific profile of the AMRD programme smooths the way to worldwide operating mining companies and companies of mine remediation. The graduate will be trained in various fields such as project planning, organisation, governance and monitoring in companies, organisations and administrations. She/he can also find a job in public administrations and international organisations. Further, the AMRD programme opens opportunities to a scientific career, both at the university and in industry.
The AMRD programme covers 120 ECTS points. This corresponds to a regular study period of four semesters (two years). Each semester you have to acquire approximately 30 ECTS points. All students complete...
- the first semester at Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria
- the second semester at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany
- the third semester at National Mining University of the Ukraine, Dnipro, Ukraine or at China University of Mining and Technology Beijing, China or at Amirkabir University of Technology Tehran, Iran.
- The fourth semester, which is regularly for the Master thesis, can be completed at any of the partner universities.
This study procedure is compulsory for all students. The degree programme starts in winter semester.
3. Fees (Tuition, Misc. Fees)
At the different universities, different fees apply each semester:
Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria:
- Student Union Fee (obligatory for all 4 semesters): € 19,2/semester
- Tuition (only for non-EU citizens 1! EU citizens and students from AMRD partner universities are exempt): € 727,-
TU Freiberg, Germany:
- Enrollment Fee (obligatory for all 4 semesters): € 84,-/semester
- Tuition: None
China University of Mining and Technology, Beijing, China:
- Registration Fee: RMB500 yuan
- Tuition (only for international students! Students from AMRD partner universities are exempt): RMB14400 yuan/semester
National Mining University Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine:
- Tuition (only for international students! Students from AMRD partner universites are exempt): € 1000,-/semester
Amirkabir University of Technology, Iran:
- Tuition (only for international students! Students from AMRD partner universities are exempt.): € 750,-/semester
Instituto Superior Técnico of Universidade de Lisboa:
- Enrollment Fee: € 25,-
- Insurance: € 1,15/year
- Tuition: € 1.063,47 for Portugese and EU students, € 7.000 for Non-EU students 2
1 Exemptions: Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Yemen, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Kiribati, the Comoros, Congo (Democratic Republic), Laos (Democratic People's Republic), Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, the Maldives, Mali, Mauretania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, the Solomon Islands, Zambia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania (United Republic), Timor-Leste, Togo, Chad, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Central African Republic
2 Non-EU students can apply for a scholarship equivalent to 50% of the tuition fees
All students must have earned an academic degree (with the minimum required duration of seven semesters) from a recognised domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution in the field of mining or relevant field, particularly
- Geotechnical engineering
- Processing of mineral resources
- Applied geosciences
- Industrial engineering
Applications for admission are to be made to either one of the partner universites:
- Admission Office of TU Bergakademie Freiberg (for details see below), or
- National Mining University, Ukraine, or
- The programme director of the degree programme Mineral Resources at Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, or
- The programme director of the degree programme Mineral Resources at the China University of Mining and Technology-Beijing
If you choose to apply at TU Bergakademie Freiberg for the AMRD programme you have to submit the following documents (original hardcopies or certified copies) by mail service, not by e-mail:
- APPLICATION FORM for Admission to the Joint Master's Degree Programme "Advanced Mineral Resources Development"
Please note: The application form has to be filled with a computer, not by hand, to avoid transcription errors.
- Proof of academic degree (BSc certificate) and study records (Transcript of Records): the minimum requirement is a Bachelor´s degree with a study duration of at least 7 semesters or with 210 achieved ECTS. In case the academic degree has not been achieved at one of the partner universities, diplomas and study records are to be certified in compliance with the national legislation where the application is submitted.
- Proof of English language proficiency by means of a recognised language test (TOEFL, IELTS)
TOEFL with an internet based score of at least 80 points (minimum: Listening 20, Reading 18, Speaking 17, Writing 16) or a paper based score of 550.
IELTS with an overall band score of at least 6.0 (minimum: Reading and Listening 6.0, Writing and Speaking 5.5).
Applicants who are English native speakers or graduated from a degree programme with English as the language or instruction are exempt from this regulation.
- Letter of Application
Description of the specific motives for the application for the master programme. One page maximum.
Include any subject-relevant work experience and extracurricular activities (two pages maximum)
- Chinese, Mongolian and Vietnamese applicants need to submit an APS certificate (Akademische Prüfstelle) along with the application for admission
Please submit your application documents by mail service to this address:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Zentrale Universitätsverwaltung, Zulassungsbüro
The application deadline is 31 January each year.
If you have questions concerning your qualification as well as study related content such as lectures, you can contact the programme coordinator at TU Bergakademie Freiberg:
Prof. Dr. C. Drebenstedt
Institute of Mining Engineering and Special Civil Engineering
Chair of Mining and Surface Mining
Gustav-Zeuner-Straße 1a, Room 2.13
Phone: +49 3731 39 3373
Fax: +49 3731 39 3581
E-mail: drebenstmabb [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
The study and exam regulations of the AMRD programme at TU Bergakademie Freiberg is only available in German language (official language in Germany).
6.1. Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria ▾
- Teaching and research orientated on the supply chain of resources to end product
- Core areas including mining, metallurgy, and materials science
- Combining natural sciences and technical fields of study, and devoted to many things including the search for resources and deposits, the evaluation of mineral resources, and environmental remediation
6.2. National Mining University of the Ukraine ▾
- Foremost mining university in the Ukraine
- Approx. 12,000 students
- Mainly offering training for specialists in mining and geosciences, engineering and materials sciences, and related engineering disciplines
6.3. China University of Mining and Technology-Beijing ▾
- National key university of China under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Education
- Internationally renowned high-level university of mining and technology
- Approx. 13,000 students
6.4. Amirkabir University of Technology (AUT), Iran ▾
- The university was founded by Habib Nafisi in 1956
- AUT is a public research university located in Tehran, Iran
- AUT was the first established technical university in Iran, referred to as "Mother of Engineering Universities"
- Acceptance to the university is competitive and entrance to undergraduate and graduate programs requires scoring among the top 1% of students in the Nationwide University Entrance Exams (source: Wikipedia)
- Internationale Studierende
- Wege ins Ausland
- Internationale Kooperationen
- Internationales Universitätszentrum
Die Büros der Abteilung International Office befinden sich nun im Hauptgebäude, Akademiestraße 6/Nonnengasse. Die Abteilung Sprachen befindet sich weiterhin im Gebäude Prüferstraße 2.
Für Besucher Abteilung Sprachen: Zugang zu Prüferstraße 2 aufgrund von langfristigen Bauarbeiten nur über Schlossplatz 1 möglich!