Admission and Application
The Master program “Computational Materials Science” is tailored to students who are interested in a multidisciplinary course that is located in between fundamental science and engineering science. Therefore, there is not such thing as “the typical CMS student”. However, you should be interested in materials behavior and have a certain “computer affinity”. You don’t have to be a programmer already, but programming will be of a number of classes. Many of our students have a mechanical engineering, materials science or physics background; in case of doubt please contact us for a consultation.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Bachelor degree or an equivalent degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or other comparable studies.
- GPA with at least 75%.
- TOEFL with at least 90 points (internet based), or IELTS with at least 6.5.
- Proof of German language skills (Goethe Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 or telc Deutsch A1 or at least 150 hours German classes).
The selection committee will grant admission to the master program based on the documents provided by the applicants.
For consideration, the candidates must provide the following documents:
- Filled Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of Academic Degree(s) Translated into English and Certified
- Copy of Transcript Translated into English and Certified
- Proof of English Language Skills (TOEFL or IELTS), as well Certified
- Proof of German Language Skills, Certified
- Letter of Interest for Joining the International Master Program, maximum 1 page
Please do not send any letter of recommendation
Information to be included in the letter of interest
- How did you hear from TU Bergakademie Freiberg and CMS (internet, DAAD, exhibition,...) ?
- Why did you choose TU Bergakademie Freiberg?
- Why do you want attend the master in computational materials science? Please refer to your school grades in relevant subjects and/or to your study experience in your home country so far.
The CMS program is open to students from all over the world that fulfill the Minimum Conditions of Admission.
To receive full consideration, the Application Package must be received by us via post before:
15 April of the year.
If required, the selection committee has the right to contact the candidates for a phone or "skype" interview in the week following the application deadline.
The students admitted in the CMS program must confirm their desire to attend the program within the time period stipulated in their letter of admission.