Gastwissenschaftler Prof. Yan-feng Zhuang
Duration of Stay
Geotechnical Engineering Group
School of Civil Engineering
P. R. China
E-Mail: zhuangtsinghua [dot] edu [dot] cn
- 2005: Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering,
School of Civil and Architectural Engineering,
Wuhan University, China
- 2000: Bachelor's degree in water and wastewater engineering,
School of Civil and Architectural Engineering,
Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electrical Engineering, China
Employment History since 2005
|Sept. 2009 -||Present Associate Professor, School of Civil Engineering Wuhan University, P. R. China|
|Sept. 2007 - 2009||Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University, UK|
|July 2005 - July 2007||Postdoctoral Researcher, Institute of Geotechnical Engineering, Tsinghua University, China|
|2012 - 2014||Mineralogical Mechanism, Suction and Energy Consumption of Electro-osmosis; Funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NNSFC Grant No. 51109168; PI; 260,000 RMB ≈ EUR 33,540)|
|2011 - 2015||Development of Electro-Kinetic Geosynthetics (EKG) and Design Method for Electro-osmotic Dewatering; Funded by Industry (Huahong Synthetics Ltd.; PI; 509,100 RMB ≈ EUR 65,674)|
|2011 - 2013||Development of Clogging-proof Geotextiles and Evaluation of their Filtration Properties; Funded by Industry (Junfu Geotextiles Ltd.; PI; 200,000 RMB ≈ EUR 25,800)|
|2010 - 2012||Mineralogical Mechanism of Electro-osmosis and Theory of Consolidation Based on Energy Analysis; Funded by Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant No. 275819; PI; 50,000 RMB ≈ EUR 6,450)|
|2006 - 2007||Model Test Study on the Theory and Application of Critical Soil Retaining State of Geotextile Filtration System; Funded by National Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (NPSFC Grant No. 2005038041; PI; 20,000 RMB ≈ EUR 2,580)|
|2006||IGS Student Award (International Geosynthetics Society)|
|2002, 2003, 2004||Outstanding PhD Student Award, Wuhan University|
International networking experience
|July – Aug. 2011||Invited Professor Herbert Daniel Klapperich from Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg for one month visit in Wuhan University. It was funded by Ministry of Education of China. It led to a faculty level cooperation agreement on research and education between Freiberg and Wuhan and more potential collaborations in the future.|
|May 2008 - March 2007|
(From preparation to summer school actually held in China)
|Key coordinator of the summer school program Electrokinetic Geosynthetics (EKG) in Geotechnical and Environmental Engineering: Innovation through Collaboration; Funded by RCUK.|
My role includes helping with program design, liaising and coordination with Universities in both UK and China, presentation, translation and interpretation, etc.
Major Research Experience
|2012 - Present||PI of the project Mineralogical Mechanism, Suction and Energy Consumption of Electro-osmosis, Funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2012 - Present||Researcher of the project Operation Mechanism of rigid reinforced-soil retaining wall and Analysis Theory for the Internal Stability of Reinforced Soil, funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2011 - Present||PI of the project Development of Electro-Kinetic Geosynthetics (EKG) and Design Method for Electro-osmotic Dewatering, Funded by Huahong Synthetics Ltd.|
|2011 - Present||Present PI of the project Development of Clogging-proof Geotextiles and Evaluation of their Filtration Properties; Funded by Junfu Geotextiles Ltd.|
|2011 - Present||Present Researcher of the project Constitutive Model for Simulative Lunar Soil and Its Experimental Verification , funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2010 - Present||PI of the project Mineralogical Mechanism of Electroosmosis and Theory of Consolidation Based on Energy Analysis, funded by Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.|
|2010 - Present||Present Researcher of the project Deformation & Failure Mechanism of Expansive Soil Slope of Canal and Its Stabilization Technique Using FRP Screw Anchor & EPS Polyfoam, funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2010 - 2011||Researcher of the 863 project Efficient technique for reinforcement and enhancement of heavy-load railway embankment and bridge, funded by Ministry of Science and Technology of China.|
|2007 - 2009||Postdoctoral Researcher of the project Redox-Active Fe-Bearing Clay-Coated Sand for Groundwater Remediation, funded by EPSRC.|
|2006 - 2007||PI of the project Model Test Study on the Theory and Application of Critical Soil Retaining State of Geotextile Filtration System, funded by National Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China.|
|2005 - 2007||Key researcher of the project Study on the Filtration Mechanism and New Type of Geosynthetics Filter, funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2003 - 2005||Researcher of the project Deformation Mechanism of Unsaturated Soil Slope of and Slope Protection Technique Using FRP Screw Anchor, funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China.|
|2001 - 2005||Key researcher of the project Development and Application of Electro-Kinetic Geosynthetics, funded by Taian Huasu Building Materials Ltd.|
|2001 - 2002||Researcher of the project Survey on Global Application of Geosynthetics, funded by Ministry of Water Resources of China.|
Commercial Field Work Involved
|2006 - 2007||Project Lunar Soil Simulation and Landing Impact of Lunar Excursion Module on the Surface of the Moon. Work involved building and maintaining of a landing field that modeling the soil environment on the moon.|
|Sept. - Oct., 2004||Project Sandy Shore Foundation Treatment of Qinzhou Coal-Fired Power Plant.|
Work involved installing prefabricated wick drain for foundation improvement and monitoring the settlement and ground water level.
|Oct. - Nov., 2004|
Project Inspection of the Pile Foundation of Yongfu Power Plant Phase II.
- Yan-Feng Zhuang, Claire I. Fialips, Maggie L. White and Dulce M. Perez Ferrandez. New Redox-active Material for Permeable Water Remediation Systems. Applied Clay Science, 2012, 59-60(5): 26-35.
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Xiequn Wang and Weilie Zou. Energy Analysis Model for Electroosmotic Consolidation. Geotechnical Symposium "Modern Soil Mechanics in Geotechnical Engineering", in 17th June 2011. TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany: Druckerei Wagner, 2011: 477-488.
- Junfeng Zhang, Yan-feng Zhuang, Weilie Zou and Xiequn Wang. Comparison of Geogrid Reinforcement Design Based on Chinese and German Codes. Geotechnical Symposium "Modern Soil Mechanics in Geotechnical Engineering", in 17th June 2011. TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany: Druckerei Wagner, 2011: 489-494.
- Lun Chen, Yan-feng Zhuang, Zhao Wang and Qi Xu. Hydraulic Behavior of Filter Protected Silt under Cyclic Flow. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE. 2007, 135(8):1159-1166.
- Yan-feng Zhuang and Zhao Wang. Interface Electric Resistance of Electroosmotic Consolidation. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE. 2007, 133(12):1617-1621.
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Zhao Wang and Lun Chen. Model Test Study on Soft Clay Slope Reinforced with Electro-kinetic Geosynthetics. 8th International Conference on Geosynthetics, Yokohama, Japan: Millpress, 2006: 531-534.
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Xia Li and Zhao Wang. Application of Electro-kinetic Geosynthetics in Reinforced Slope. GeoAsia2004 Proceeding of the 3rd Asian Regional Conference on Geosynthetics. Seoul, Korea: KGSS. 2004:1042-1047.
- Jones C.J.F.P., Lamont-Black J., Glendenning S., Bergado D., Eng T., Fourie A., Liming H., Pugh C., Romantshuk M., Simpanen S. and Yan-feng Zhuang. Recent Research and Applications in the Use of Electro-Kinetic Geosynthetics. Fourth European Geosynthetics Conference, United Kingdom, International Geosynthetics Society UK Chapter, CD-ROM (2008).
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Xiang Wang, Feifei Liu, Yunlan Huang, Huang Tan, Weilie Zou and Xiequn Wang. Model Test on Expansive Soil Remediation Using Electro-Kinetic Geosynthetics. GeoAmericas 2012. Lima, Perú - May 2012
- Weilie Zou, Zongqiang Qiu, Kaiming CU, Dongse Li, Bojun Cui and Yan-feng Zhuang. Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic Screw Anchor and Its Application for Slope Stabilization. Advances in Ground Technology and Geo-information, on 1st-2nd December 2011. Singapore: Research Publishing, 2011: 235-242.
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Lun Chen, Qi Xu and Zhao Wang. Microscopic Image Analysis Method for the Grading of Eroded Soil Particles from Filtration System. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2009, 30(2): 374-378. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Zhao Wang and Lun Chen. Model Test of Slope Reinforcement through Electro-Osmosis and Its Numerical Simulation Based on Energy Analysis Method. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2008, 29(9): 2409-2414. (In Chinese)
- Lun Chen, Yan-feng Zhuang, Qi Xu and Zhao Wang. Test Study on Filtration Mechanism of Silt-net System under Limit Soil-retained State. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2008, 29(6): 1455-1460. (In Chinese)
- Lun Chen, Qi Xu Huaqiang Yi, and Yan-feng Zhuang. Simulating Test Study on the Seepage Stability of the Soil-geotextile Filtration under Cyclic Flow. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering, 2007, 26(4): 115-119. (In Chinese)
- Lun Chen, Huaqiang Yi, Qi Xu and Yan-feng Zhuang. The Study of the Structure Stability Simulated Tests in Soil-geotextile Filtration. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering, 2006, 25(4): 117-121. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Zhao Wang and Qing Lin. Energy Level Gradient Theory for Electro-osmotic Consolidation. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology, 2005, 37(2):283-286. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang, Zhao Wang. Electric Charge Accumulation Theory for Electro-osmotic Consolidation. Rock and Soil Mechanics, 2005, 26(4):629-632. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang and Zhao Wang. Energy Consumption and Proper Requirement for Soil Compaction. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 2005, 38(1): 133-136. (In Chinese)
- Yu-chen Hu, Zhao Wang and Yan-feng Zhuang. Experimental Studies on Electro-osmotic Consolidation of Soft Clay Using EKG Electrodes. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 2005, 27(5): 582-586. (In Chinese)
- Zhao Wang, Yan-feng Zhuang and Guangxing Li. Measurement of Coefficient of Permeability with Single Well. Geotechnical Investigation and Surveying, 2003, 183(4):15-18. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang and Zhao Wang. Measuring Methods of Opening Size of Geotextile. Journal of Yangtze River Scientific Research institute, 2002, 19(3):33-36. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang and Zhao Wang. Electrokinetic Phenomena in Soil and Their Applications. Journal of Hohai University, 2002, 30(6):112-115. (In Chinese)
- Yan-feng Zhuang and Zhao Wang. Construction and Opening Size Distribution Curves of Geotextiles and Their Application. Advances in Science and Technology of Water Resources, 2002, 22(4):34-35. (In Chinese)
- Qin Shao, Yan-feng Zhuang, Hong-tao Wang and Ling-yun Deng. Experimental Research on Effect of Effective Microorganisms on Removal of Ammonia and Nitrogen. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 2001, 34(4):77-80. (In Chinese)