CEMEREM Alumni Seminar 2021
ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
With financial support by the German Ministry of Foreign Affair through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
TU Bergakademie Freiberg, in cooperation with
Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Dresden
and Taita Taveta University, in Voi, Kenya
DAAD CEMEREM Alumni Seminar 2021 on
“An environmental management system for Taita Taveta County
as a pilot project for East Africa”
Venue at Taita Taveta University, Voi, Kenya
Dates of the seminar: 12th ─18th December, 2021
Arrival date in Kenya: 11th December, 2021
Departure date from Kenya: 19th September, 2021
As the ninth DAAD African Centre of Excellence, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through DAAD, the Centre of Excellence for Mining, Environmental Engineering and Resource Management (CEMEREM) started in April 2016. It is a joint project of Taita Taveta University (TTU), Voi, Kenya, the University of Applied Sciences Dresden (HTWD) and TU Bergakademie Freiberg to implement training and research activities in Mining, Environmental Engineering and Resource Management.
This Seminar is organized for the first CEMEREM Alumni, African IMRE (International Management of Resources and Environment) Alumni of TU Bergakademie Freiberg, African Alumni of the Environmental Engineering Study Programme of HTW Dresden and Alumni of other DAAD African Centres of Excellence.
Summary Programme of the Seminar
The programme will include:
- Introductory lectures
- Presentations by stakeholders
- A brainstorming session by participating alumni
- Visits to laboratories
- Cultural events
Special Note concerning an Alternative Programme Format
Given the world-wide pandemic and the current status of uncertainty of its development, the convenors will decide in due course to replace the seminar by an online version. This will imply modifications of the programme, which will be announced to participants. The alternative programme will rely on more and extended active contributions by participants. In the case of a virtual event, DAAD can support the alumni by covering the costs for sufficient and secured data volume (software support, no hardware support).
Eligibility Criteria for Participation
This seminar targets Alumni of German universities
- from developing countries (countries listed on the DAC list),
- who carried out research or studied in Germany for at least 3 months or
- who were affiliated as students at DAAD African Centres of Excellence and
- who are currently living and working in DAC countries.
You should have
- a proven background in topics of environmental and resource management, soil conservation, renewable energy, water and waste water technologies, sustainable agriculture, community development, climate change mitigation, industrial environmental management, governmental issues in environmental management …
- professional and practical experience in the topics mentioned in (1) in the context of project development, industry, government agencies, NGOs, local communities, applied research in academia and industry
- a responsibility and an opportunity to act as a potential multiplier to transmit the seminar results, disseminate the acquired knowledge and to develop innovative ideas and projects for implementation in your countries of residence.
- adequate language proficiency which is essential to actively participate in the workshops and discussions as the seminar will be held in English
- International return ticket from and to Kenya (lowest possible economy class airfare)
- Airport transit in Kenya to Voi
- Travel health insurance (max. 30 Euro) and visa costs
- Accommodation and meals during the stay in Voi during the seminar and the conference
- Transport for excursions
Please note: You have to cover by yourself any other costs, such as transport costs between your place of residence and “your” airport and travel costs for visa application in your country of residence.
Extensions of stay without loss of DAAD support before or after the seminar are only possible up to 5 working days and upon submission of a comparison of travel ticket prices before you start your travel. You will have to pay any difference between the travel ticket prices for the official arrival / return date and your actual date of travel before / after your extension. You must also cover by yourself any additional travel costs, subsistence costs and other additional costs of your extension. For any extension you need to organize your accommodation by yourself, and, very importantly, you have to make sure to have a valid health insurance for the extension days.
Your application (in English language) should emphasize your motivation and expected personal and professional benefits. You should show how you will transmit the gained knowledge to stakeholders within your professional circles.
Your application (in English language) must include the following documents:
- a filled out application form
- a short CV with photograph and relevant documentation of your Germany Alumni status
- a short description of your present duties / position, professional goals and envisaged activities
- a short description of your personal input into the seminar
- a short statement about your expectations from the seminar
Please submit your Application on the application website – at the latest by 30th November 2021. Please make sure your application is complete.
In case you have any difficulties with online submission, please send your application as one single pdf file to Jiangxue [dot] liubwl [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de.
The PDF-document should be named ‘Last name_First name_country’
(e.g. Boateng_Francis_Ghana, Bongaerts_Jan_Germany).
Accepted applicants will be notified at the end of July 2021.
For further questions, please contact
j-c [dot] bongaertsioez [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de ,
Jiangxue [dot] liubwl [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
ogadajumattu [dot] ac [dot] ke