Procedure of application in two steps
Please read carefully the information provided under "Conditions of admission". Then, we ask you to follow two steps to apply:
- In the first step, fill the online application form to start the process of application.
Then, you wait until we report the result of the pre-evaluation and go to the next step when invited to do so (this can take some time, expect us to reply within one month or so).
- In the second step, please send us a complete application package to the address at the bottom of the page. We do need a complete package, in hard copies, duly attested, to issue a formal letter of admission to our university. Due to the Corona virus, we currently accept electronic submissions of scanned documents, until further notice. Originals may be presented during the enrolment process in Freiberg.
If shortlisted, you will receive an online acknowledgement of receipt for the first online registration step (please note that the office is closed for summer break between 13 July and 05 August, 2017). The results of the second step will be sent out to you via Email as soon as the evaluation is done. This will take some weeks, in some cases, the verdict will be cast only immediately after the respective deadlines (see below), otherwise, we try to continuously enrol new students).
Due to our restricted funding and admin possibilities, we only use standard hard copy mail, so there is no tracking possibility, and we are unable to answer additional Emails or phone calls asking for (re-)confirmation.
Due to Corona:
1. For you to be able to start your studies from your respective home country, the courses in your study programme will only take place as an online course in the winter semester 2020/21 (and probably also in the summer semester 2021). It is not necessary to be physically present during the winter semester. We strongly advise you NOT to travel!
2. Please note that in case of a conditional admission (e.g. submission of IELTS, GRE or GMAT, German Certificate or Bachelor's degree for enrolment), the relevant evidence along with your applicant number shall be sent to the our Admissions Office (zulassungsbuerozuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de) by September 15, 2020. An enrolment will not be possible if the conditions stated in the admission cannot be fulfilled!
Admission and deadline
The programme only admits students for each start of the academic year (early October). There is usually no admission for summer semester (starting in April), only for exchange students who want to stay one semester only and for other very exceptional cases.
Deadline for sending complete application packages in hard copy:
- 15 April of each year for students in need of a visa (currently 15 May 2020).
Late submissions by students not in need of visa may be considered, but only if there are still free places.
The taught modules of the IBDEM MBA programme are also accessible to exchange students at the master level.
The university will enrol admitted students during the period of time specified on the admission letter (typically early September to early October each year). We organise a lot of important meetings and discussions and extra-curricular activities, so coming late is no option.
Additional hints and notes
- We admit between 15 and 20 students each year to the programme
- More information on what to consider before moving to Freiberg (health insurance, cost of living, etc.)
- More information about what to do after arriving in Freiberg (registration with the University, the municipal registration office, etc.)
- The University's mentor programme helps you through the first days in Freiberg. It is organised by the International Centre "Alexander von Humboldt".
Please send your complete application package in hard copy to
Due to the Corona virus, we currently accept electronic submissions of scanned documents, until further notice. Originals may be presented during the enrolment process in Freiberg. Send your documents to Johannes [dot] Stephanvwl [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de.
Prof. Dr. Johannes Stephan
Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg
MBA IBDEM Programme Coordinator
Please note: if you want your documents back, please include a stamped envelope with a complete address.