In June 2010, the joint degree program IMRE Ghana started in Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Kumasi, Ghana.
The Kumasi College of Technology was established by a government ordinance in 1951. It started operation in 1952 with 200 teachers training students in the School of Engineering and the Department of Commerce. As the College expanded, a decision was taken to make the Kumasi College of Technology a purely science and technology institution. Hence in 1961, the former Kumasi College of Technology was finally transformed into a full-fledged university, four years after the independence of Ghana.
For more information please check the IMRE Ghana Introduction wrote by Peter Gölitz, one of the first exchange students from Freiberg.
Campus and Transportation
The campus of KNUST is located in the Eastern part of Kumasi, at the outskirts of the city. As you can see in Illustration 4 it stretches over a huge area. The main area of the campus can be accessed via one of the five guarded gates. It accommodates lecture, department and administrative buildings, halls and hostels for students, buildings for shops and canteens, a hospital, sport and recreational areas, printing shops, Internet cafés, churches, work shops, small bank branches, a book store, a post office and many private buildings for university employees. The campus is almost completely surrounded by residential areas with many private hostels and stores concentrated around the gates of Tech Junction, Bomso and Ayeduase.