Alireza M. Kia
Experienced Doctoral Researcher with a demonstrated history of working in Advanced Surface Characterization Group at the Fraunhofer IPMS-CNT. Skilled in TOF-SIMS analysis, Surface/interface analysis, Electron microscopy, and Solid state physics. My research work focused on developing analysis framework on solid-state lithium ion batteries (SS-LIBs) fabricating by ALD process with Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS).
About my PhD research
Light elements are the key constituents of many advanced materials and energy management technologies. For instance, oxygen in dielectrics and superconductors, lithium in battery materials, and hydrogen in hydrogen storage materials. In order to provide reliable analysis and obtain the required information, it is necessary to take advantage of the variety of techniques. In fact, different analysis methods and observation techniques should be combined to reach the clearest and interpretable results.
There is a substantial demand exists to improve the performance of solid-state lithium-ion batteries (LIBs). Therefore, a detailed understanding of the complex electrochemical reactions occurring in different parts of the battery is essential for improving the device performance as well as the device fabrication. One practical solution to clarify the working principle of LIBs is observing ions' behavior during the battery operation. Monitoring Li-ions distribution, determining chemical compositions, and clarifying the interaction mechanisms are the key features to understand batteries' working mechanism.
Education and technical working experience
- 2017 – present : Working as a member of Advanced surface characterization (ACS) team and PhD student at Fraunhofer IPMS – Center of Nanoelectronic Technologies (CNT)
- Working experience as a member of Advanced Surface Characterization team
- Analytic consulting and responsibilities for internal and customer support with: TOF-SIMS (Tool owner of ION-TOF 5: Measurement, optimization and data analysis in static and dynamic modes, surface imaging, depth profiling, 2D and 3D elemental distributions)
- TEM based techniques BFTEM / EFTEM / STEM / EELS / TEM-EDX
- SEM / FIB / EDX
- X-ray based techniques XPS / XRR / XRD
- 2016 – 2017 : Scientific assistant at Fraunhofer IPMS – CNT
- Working as an assistant member for analytic team at CNT (SEM, XRR, XRD …)
- 2013 – 2016: Master (M.Sc.) in “Micro-Nano Systems” at Chemnitz University of Technology
- 2016 : Master thesis at Fraunhofer IPMS – CNT / Developing metal oxide processes for highly conformal thin layers by plasma enhanced atomic layer deposition / Optimizing an ALD process (thermal/plasma) for deposition and transformation of high conformal R-TiO2 thin film as an electrode component for SSLiB / Evaluate and compare the results by physical characterization techniques XRR/RD, HTXRD, SEM/TEM, XPS.
- 2015 – 2016 : Research project at Chemnitz University of Technology / Conduct a Survey on surface modification of nano-composite sensor to improve the adhesion with Plasma treatment and chemical exposure / Characterizing the surface adhesion by AFM-Topography, Spectroscopy analysis and contact-angel measurement
- 2014 – 2015 : Student job at Chemnitz University of Technology / Implementation of LabVIEW infrastructure on Molecules surface pressure measurement.
- 2006 – 2011: Bachelor (B.Sc.) in “Electrical and Telecommunication Engineering” at Sadjad University of Technology – Iran
- 2020: “Analysis of the composition of tantalum nitride in CMOS metallization trenches using parallel angle‐resolved XPS”_B Wehring, L Gerlich, Alireza M Kia, M Wislicenus, B Uhlig_Surface and Interface Analysis 52 (12), 962-967
- 2020: “Surface-dependent performance of ultrathin TiN films as an electrically conducting Li diffusion barrier for Li-ion-based devices”_J Speulmanns, Alireza M Kia, K Kühnel, S Bönhardt, W Weinreich_ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12 (35), 39252-39260
- 2019: “Dopant Concentration Analysis of ALD Thin Films in 3D Structures by ToF-SIMS”_ Alireza M Kia, W Weinreich, M Utriainen, RL Puurunen, N Haufe_19th International Conference on Atomic Layer Deposition, ALD 2019, 61-61
- 2019: “Tof-sims 3d analysis of thin films deposited in high aspect ratio structures via atomic layer deposition and chemical vapor deposition”_ Alireza M Kia, Nora Haufe, Sajjad Esmaeili, Clemens Mart, Mikko Utriainen, Riikka L Puurunen, Wenke Weinreich_Nanomaterials 9 (7), 1035
- 2019: “Formation of highly conformal spinel lithium titanate thin films based on a novel three-step atomic layer deposition process”_S Bönhardt, K Kühnel, Alireza M Kia, W Weinreich_ Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films
- 2018: “Development of Rutile Titanium Oxide Thin Films as Battery Material Component Using Atomic Layer Deposition”_ Alireza M Kia, S Bönhardt, S Zybell, K Kühnel, N Haufe, W Weinreich_physica status solidi (a), 1800769
- 2017: “Tuning the adhesion between polyimide substrate and MWCNTs/epoxy nanocomposite by surface treatment”_ Ayda Bouhamed, Alireza M Kia, Slim Naifar, Volodymyr Dzhagan, Christian Müller, Dietrich RT Zahn, Slim Choura, Olfa Kanoun_Applied Surface Science 422, 420-429
- Best Poster Award in 6th Dresden Nano-analysis Symposium 2018_Dresden, Germany
- Alireza M. Kia, C. Mart, N. Haufe, J. S. Emara, M. Utriainen, R. L. Puurunen, W. Weinreich “Depth spectroscopy analysis of La-doped HfO2 ALD thin films in 3D structures by HAXPES and ToF-SIMS” – talk (18th European conference on Applications of surface and interface analysis-ECASIA19, Dresden, Germany_ Sep. 2019)
- Alireza M. Kia, Clemens Mart, Mikko Utriainen, Riikka L. Puurunen, Nora Haufe, Wenke Weinreich “Dopant concentration analysis of ALD thin films in 3D structures by ToF-SIMS” – talk (19th ALD conference, Seattle, US_ Jul. 2019)
- Alireza M. Kia, Nora Haufe, Sascha Bönhardt, Sabine Zybell, et al. “Lithium Detection And Tracking for Solid State Battery Test Stacks” – poster (8th NRW Nano Conference, Dortmund, Germany_ Nov. 2018)
- Alireza M. Kia, Clemens Mart, Sajjad Esmaeili, Mikko Utriainen, et.al “3D Analysis of Thin Layers by ToF-SIMS” – poster (6th Nano-analysis Symposium, Dresden, Germany_ Aug. 2018)
- Alireza M. Kia, Wenke Weinreich, Sascha Bönhardt, Sabine Zybell, ae al. “Development of Conformal Titanium Oxide Thin Films as Battery Electrode Material” – poster (11th International Conference on Engineering of Functional Interfaces (EnFi 2018), Wittenberg, Germany_ Jul. 2018)