International Project Week "Muldenhütten"
Problems, Challenges and Solutions for a sustainable Development of the Historic Smelting Works and World Heritage Site and the industrial Area of “Muldenhütten” at Freiberg
An international and interdisciplinary seminar on the future of the Muldenhütten smelter site as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Erzgebirge/Krušnohoří will be held in Freiberg from November 15 to 19.
In addition to participants from the Industrial Culture and Industrial Archaeology courses, students from other disciplines are also welcome.
Students and staff of the Madrid "Universidad Camilo José Cela (UCJC)" will come to Freiberg for this seminar. The aim of the seminar is to give presentations on different topics around the Muldenhütten site. On Monday, November 15, the seminar will start with introductory lectures by the lecturers from Freiberg and Madrid. In the afternoon of the same day, we will travel together to Muldenhütten for a tour of the site. On Tuesday morning further introductions will follow and from Tuesday afternoon the group work among the students will start. Students from Madrid will work in different groups with students from Freiberg on different aspects of the world heritage site Muldenhütten. On Friday, the results of the working groups will be presented and explained in short presentations.
The main topics are based on the following perspectives:
- Transport and logistics of the Muldenhütten site
- ecology and environmental issues of the Muldenhütten site
- historical and current development of Muldenhütten in the local and regional context
- Tourism and marketing of the World Heritage Site Muldenhütten
- Industrial archaeology, preservation of industrial monuments and industrial culture at the Muldenhütten site
- Potentials of the World Heritage Site Muldenhütten as a place of education, teaching and research
The international seminar can be recognized as "Seminar History of Technology and Industrial Culture 1" by non-specialized students as a free elective with 4 LP. The seminar will be held in English
Interested students please register in the following OPAL course.
There will be a pre-course on Thursday, October 28, in the large lecture hall in Werner Building WER-1045.