Call for Papers
The symposium focuses on the geosciences at the end of the 18th to the beginning of the 19th century and their impact to Abraham Gottlob Werner’s research and teaching. The event is equally directed to scientists and students.
The following issues should be regarded in the oral presentations during the meeting in June 29 and 30, 2017:
- Werner’s charisma (analysis of his personality as scientist, teacher, collection-inspector or member of the State Mining Authority in contemporary and present perception)
- European networks and their influence on the progress in earth sciences
- Transfer of knowledge (history of cartography, history of collections, effect of geoscientific insights to other fields like fine arts; development of mining academies following the model Freiberg)
- Werner’s students and their work for earth sciences
- Teaching and education at the early Mining Academy (Freiberg)
- Between science and government order (e.g. survey of land; prospection of deposits)
We plan to publish the conference proceedings later.