Master Groundwater Management
|Faculty||Fakultät 3 - Geowissenschaften, Geotechnik und Bergbau|
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Standard period of study||4 Semester|
|Start of studies||Winter semester|
Bachelors degree or equivalent in Geosciences
English language proficiency (TOEFL 87; IELTS 6,0 or equivalent language certificate)
|Application deadline||If visa required 30 April, without visa process 15 July|
The international Master programme Groundwater Management combines knowledge of hydrosphere, water chemistry, modeling, groundwater protection, and groundwater rehabilitation with management techniques and business administration skills. Candidates will obtain in-depth knowledge on groundwater protection, groundwater management, and clean-up approaches for contaminated aquifers. At the same time, participants will be taught in related environment law and general management of geo-resources.
Students will be enabled to work on hydrogeological, hydrological and geochemical questions in both science and applications. All aspects of groundwater including geothermal use will be taught and applied. Work with data bases and geo information systems is obligatory in order to learn about the administration of geo-scientific data in space and time and about regional planning.
Participants will be enabled and motivated to build up their knowledge by themselves and within teams. They will learn about water chemistry (field and laboratory methods, numerical modeling of flow, transport and chemical reactions in aquatic systems, and how to examine and develop methods for groundwater protection. The promotion and improvement of communication, personality and leadership skills will play an important role. Students will also be capable of solving economic and legal questions along with questions related to the weighing of interests in resource conflicts and resource evaluation with modern methods.
How to apply
- A first university degree (e. G. Bachelor degree) in the field of
- English language proficiency must be proven by a recognised language certificate such as
- TOEFL (87 points internet based test, 213 points computer based test, 550 points paper based test)
- IELTS (result at least 6.0)
- or by an equivalent language certificate
The above does not apply for applicants whose national language is English or whose last educational achievement has been attained in English language.
- Application for Admission for Foreign Applicants I Additional information to the application form
- Certified copy of higher education certificate (e.g. Bachelor certificate), if necessary along with an officially attested translations into German or English
- (If the higher education certificate is not yet available, but will be finished before the start of the semester at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, a confirmation proving that the applicant is currently enrolled and showing the date of the expected degree award along with a transcript of records is required.)
- Proof of English language proficiency (see Entry requirements)
- Motivation letter (maximum two pages)
- Up-to-date passport photo
The Master degree programme Groundwater Management starts regularly in the winter semester (semester start 1 October). The following application deadlines apply:
- if visa required: 30 April
- without visa process: 15 July
The application documents have to be send by post to the Admission Office. The address is:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
The programme schedule is available in the Examination and Study Regulations (in German "Prüfungs- und Studienordnung"; see below). Descriptions of the modules are available in the module manual (Modulhandbuch; see below).