|Faculty||Fakultät 3 - Geowissenschaften, Geotechnik und Bergbau|
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Standard period of study||4 Semester|
|Start of studies||Wintersemester|
Bachelor degree in geosciences or related fields with at least 80 percent of maximum score
Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 90 internet-based test, IELTS 6.5 or equivalent)
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score of 305
TU Bergakademie Freiberg GRE Institution Code 8233
One page personal statement (motivation letter)
|Application deadline||April 15th|
The International Master program “Geoscience” (MGEX) provides students with a strong foundation in various aspects of Geology, Environmental Sciences, and Geophysics. We particularly look for talented and motivated students who are committed to graduate studies. Our goal is to train students for productive careers in industry, academia, and government by providing innovative teaching and mentoring and opportunities for participation in cutting edge research activities. Students have training opportunities in a wide range of field, laboratory, and numerical approaches. Students learn through coursework, research and teaching as they pursue their degree in a wide variety of areas within these fields of specialization:
- Computational and Mathematical Geoscience
- Environmental Geoscience
- Hydrogeology and Hydrochemistry
- Tectonics and Geo-Thermochronology
- Bachelor certificate (or equivalent university degree) in the field of Geoscience. Results must achieve or exceed 80 percent of the maximum score.
- English language proficiency: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of at least 90 points (internet-based test); International English Language Test System (IELTS) with a score of 6.5. A university entrance qualification acquired at an English-speaking school, a degree completely taught in English or English language as mother tongue can be credited as equivalent proof. Anyone who earned his/her degree in Great Britain, Ireland, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia is exempt from taking an English language test.
- GRE General Test certificate with at least 305 points
01.01. – 15.04. for winter semester
Please apply only if you already have fulfilled the admission requirements at the time of application. If you do not fulfil them by then, your application will not be considered in the selection process. Further information on the formal application process can be found here.
You can apply via our application portal.
After a self-registration you will receive your personal login data and you can start the application for the course of study.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
The Master programme “Geoscience” is appropriate for those students with strongly focused research interests. Coursework of students is typically centered around the broad field related to their specialization. The first semester includes introduction in the respective specialization including a course on scientific communication. Key aspects of the second semester are experimental laboratory and field studies while the third semester offers advanced courses. The student completes an in-depth research project and writes a thesis summarizing that study. Students have a MS thesis defense at the end of their programme.
The study schedule is available in the Examination and Study Regulations (see below), page 27 and following. The courses of the Master programme are called modules. Module descriptions can be found in the Module Manual (Modulhandbuch; see below).