|Faculty||Fakultät 3 - Geowissenschaften, Geotechnik und Bergbau|
|Degree||Master of Science (M.Sc.)|
|Standard period of study||4 Semester|
|Start of studies||Winter and summer semester (usually winter semester)|
Bachelor degree in geosciences or equivalent subjects
Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 78/79 internet-based test, IELTS 6.0 or equivalent)
Practical work experience or internships
Successful eligibility interview with respect to the desired specialization
|Application deadline||Winter semester: if visa required: 30 April, without visa process: 15 July|
Graduates of the programme will be specialists, but applicable in various contexts and successfully capable of cooperation. They will be able to independently lead projects and take over leadership responsibility. Thus, students will be put into position to independently write and evaluate problems related to geoscience, environmental impact, and risk assessment studies.
The Master programme Geoscience offers two specializations. At the beginning the student has to choose between
- Environmental Geoscience and
- Tectonophysics of Orogeny.
Students of the specialization Environmental Geosciences will be enabled to work on complex environmental problems on own responsibility. The curriculum for each student will be adapted according to the prior knowledge of the candidates. The main focus lies on the interactions in the atmosphere (including climate and chemistry of atmosphere). The successful candidates will take over responsibility in administration, science, education, and research at universities and research centers.
Students of the specialization Tectonophysics of Orogeny will be enabled to work with methods of structural geology, geo-thermo chronology, geomorphology, remote sensing, and petrology. He will be able to analyze and interpret coupled processes of active and fossil orogenies by using innovative techniques: Focus of education and related research is on active orogenies and coupling processes from mantle to atmosphere.
For exceptional cases a fast track option to enter a PhD program is available.
How to apply
- A first university degree (e. G. Bachelor degree) in the field of geosciences
- English language proficiency must be proven by a recognised language certificate such as TOEFL (78/79 points internet based test, 213 points computer based test, 550 points paper based test), IELTS (result at least 6.0) or by an equivalent language certificate.
This does not apply for applicants whose national language is English or whose last educational achievement has been attained in English language.
- Practical work experience or internships of, in general, not less than one year, preferably in the field of geoscience
- Successful eligibility interview with respect to the desired specialization, conducted by the responsible professor of that specialization
- Application for admission (application form) I Additional information
- Certified copies of education certificates (e. g. Bachelor certificate; if necessary, along with a translation into German or English)
- If the higher education is not finished at the time of application, a confirmation from the higher education institute containing the expected degree award along with a transcript of records will be accepted
- Proof of English language proficiency according to the Entry requirements
- Motivation letter (maximum two pages)
- Up-to-date passport photo
- If visa required: 30 April
- Without visa process: 15 July
- If visa required: 30 November
- Without visa process: 15 January
Applicants must submit their application documents by post to the following address. Applications by e-mail are insufficient and will not be processed.
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
The study schedule is available in the Examination and Study Regulations (see below), page 27 and following. The courses of the Master programme are called modules. Module descriptions can be found in the Modulhandbuch (Module Manual; see below).