Authentication of documents

What is an officially certified copy needed for?

In addition to the application for enrollment, proof of university entrance qualification (Abitur certificate) or, in the case of those changing universities, performance summaries from previous studies, diplomas, certificates and language certificates are required as officially certified copies. Foreign-language certificates and proofs must also be submitted as officially certified German translations, unless they are written in English or French.

Who carries out an official certification?

Any public body that has an official seal (round stamp with emblem) can officially certify the certificate. This includes, among others: public authorities, notaries and churches organized under public law. Not recognized are certifications from the following bodies (even if they carry a seal): lawyers, associations, auditors, accountants. Officially certified translations are issued by translators appointed at state level. Official certifications and translations are subject to a fee!

How is the official certification to be carried out?

The official certification must include:

  1. an endorsement certifying that the copy/copy is identical to the original (certification endorsement),
  2. the signature of the certifier and
  3. the imprint of the official seal. An official seal usually contains an emblem. A simple written stamp is not sufficient.

Please note: Copied certifications are not proper and are not recognized by the university.

If the copy/copy consists of several individual sheets, it must be proven that each page comes from the same document. It is sufficient if only one page is provided with the certification mark and the signature, provided that all sheets (e.g. scaled) are placed on top of each other, stapled and sealed in such a way that a part of the official seal appears on each page (see illustration in the upper left part of the sample). Each page can also be authenticated separately. In this case, make sure that your name appears on each page of the original. If it is not indicated everywhere, it must be included in the certification endorsements, together with a reference to the type of document. If there is a copy on the front and back of a sheet and the content of both sides is important, the certification notation must also refer to the front and back or the front and back must be certified separately. If there is a seal impressed in the paper (a so-called embossed seal) on the original, it will usually not be visible on the copy. The certification note on the copy must then be extended to show that the original had an embossed seal of the issuer of the certificate/document.

Please note: If the certification does not meet the above requirements, it will not be recognized by the university and you will not be able to enroll in the program!

What do international applicants have to consider?

For enrollment you need a valid visa with the note "For the purpose of study/doctoral studies...".

A tourist visa does not entitle you to enroll in the program!