Information on Upcoming Events of the Scientific Diving Center
Dive Camps and Block course 2022 - Save the date
Dear scientific divers,
we could fix the dates for the diving camps. This year, after a long break, both regular diving camps will be held again. In old tradition we plan a block course for our external participants between the two diving camps.
When: Camp I: 24.-26.06. and Camp II: 01.-03.07. and block course: 24.06.-03.07.
Where: TANA and Senftenberg
What: Successful participation is a prerequisite for the completion of module I.
Training in WS21/22 starting in October
Dear divers, it's starting again!!! After a long break we are already planning the new semester. From 01.11. 19:15 the training in the swimming pool will start again. The lecture will already take place from 21.10. 18h in LAM 2090.
Please come to the "Neue Mensa" on 18 and 19 October from 11am-1pm to register. We will be happy to answer all your questions and explain the procedure.
What: registration for the course "Wiss. Tauchen I"
When: 18. and 19.10.2021 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: neue Mensa
Lecture: "Wissenschaft Unterwasser", Start: 21.10.21, Time: 18-19:30Uhr, Room: LAM 2090
We look forward to a hopefully normal semester with you!
Start of training in SS21 June/July
Hello divers of the TU Freiberg. The number of corona has been decreasing recently and this gives us hope to start the training again as soon as possible. Even though there is no official approval yet, we would like to start planning to be able to start soon. For this we need your support. Please contact us by email (Thomas [dot] Grabsdc [dot] tu-freiberg) to express your interest, this will help us with the planning. Please also send this information to other interested parties.
- What: Continuation of the course "Scientific Diving I
- When: as soon as we have the approval
- ToDo: Mail to Thomas [dot] Grabsdc [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Suspension of diver training as of 02 November
Due to the partial lockdown jointly decided yesterday by the German Parliament and the federal states in the wake of a sharp rise in COVID-19 infections, no further diving courses will be offered from Monday, 02 November onwards until at least the end of the month.
This affects the following courses:
- Scientific Diving I as well as
- Snorkeling and Diving
Registration for the upcoming winter semester courses 2020/21
- What: Registration for the courses “Snorkeling and Diving” and “Scientific Diving I”
- When: 19 and 20 October 2020, 11.00 am - 01.00 pm
- Where: Foyer of the new canteen (Neue Mensa)
- Course participation fee (due on site):
- 23 euros (Snorkeling and Diving)
- 45 euros (Scientific Diving I)
Courses in the upcoming winter semester 2020/21
We are currently arranging for our regular scientific diver training again as follows:
- Lecture: Thursdays, 06.00 - 07.30 pm, new room: LAM 2090, lectures will start on 22 October 2020
- Swimming pool training: Mondays, 07.30 - 09.00 pm, training will start on 19 October 2020
Please register for the swimming pool training in the foyer of the new canteen (Neue Mensa) on 19 and 20 October 2020; participation fee payment (45 euros) is due on site.
No further Scientific Divier training in the current summer semester
Unfortunately, and for the first time in 17 years, we cannot offer any further Scientific Diver training at the SDC during the ongoing summer semester. As a consequence, the planned field trip to Sveta Marina, Croatia, will not take place this year either.
We hope to be able to continue with our regular training schedule again at the start of the winter semester and will keep you posted on that as soon as possible.
Stay healthy through the summer!
Postponement of the European Conference of Scientific Diving (ECSD):
In accordance with the European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP) and our local university administration, we are pleased to announce that the 6th European Conference on Scientific Diving will now be held from 21 - 23 April 2021.
Further information on registration and abstract submission procedures will be published on our conference website any time soon
Stay healthy and hopefully see you next year in Freiberg!
Freiberg will host the 6th European Conference on Scientific Diving (ECSD) 2021
- What: Largest European conference for underwater research by means of scientific diving operations
- When: 21 - 23 April 2021
- Where: Alte Mensa, Freiberg
Click here for further informations.
Dates for the upcoming diving camps, the block course and the concluding field trip in the summer semester 2020:
- Camp 1: 26 - 28 June 2020 (location: TANA, Ammelshain)
- Camp 2: 03 - 05 July 2020 (location: TANA, Ammelshain)
Block course for external participants: 26 June - 05 July 2020
Registration deadline: 31 May 2020
Concluding field trip:
- When: 29 August - 13 September 2020
- Where: Sveta Marina, Istria/Croatia
- Registration deadline: 31 May 2020
Annual General Meeting of the SDC Freiberg 2020
- AGM including the awarding of the diving brevets
- Casual evening
- Alumni meeting
- Showing of pictures and videos from the past year
- Presentation of the activities of the SDC in 2019
- When: 17 January 2020 as from 6.00 pm
- Where: Alte Elisabeth, Fuchsmühlenweg 3, 09599 Freiberg
We are very happy to welcome Anne Münch as our guest speaker. She will give an exciting and informative talk on the current findings from medical examinations conducted during this year's diving expedition to Croatia, amongst other things.
Furthermore, we will get from Mr Richard Stanulla (company owner GEOWID) interesting pictures on the field of activity of a scientific diver on the basis of different projects. We look forward to exciting and educational lectures!
All graduates of the year 2019 will receive their diving certificates. As always, we want to enjoy the evening together in an informal atmosphere.
We are looking forward to your numerous appearance! For better planning, we kindly ask you to sign up in a participant list which will be hyperlinked here.
We are still searching for committed helpers who want to support us in the organization. Just get in touch by email: Thomas [dot] Grabsdc [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Start of the lecture “Aquatic ecosystems - Methods for sub-aquatic scientific work / The fascination of water” in the upcoming week
- What: Lecture “Aquatic ecosystems - Methods for sub-aquatic scientific work / The fascination of water”
- When: 24 October at 6.00 pm
- Where: MEI-0080, Gustav-Zeuner-Str. 12
Scientific diving courses Winter Semester 2019/20
- What: Start of the courses “Snorkeling and Diving” and “Scientific Diving I”
- When: 14 October at 7.30 pm (Scientific Diving I) and 15 October at 8.00 pm (Snorkeling and Diving)
- Where: Swimming pool “Johannisbad”, Freiberg
Registration for upcoming winter semester courses
- What: Registration for the courses “Snorkeling and Diving” & “Scientific Diving I”
- When: 14 and 15 October 2019, 11.00 am to 1.00 pm
- Where: Foyer of the Neue Mensa (New Canteen)
SDC booth at the open day (“Campus-Tag”) 2019
- When: 18 May 2019, 10.00 am - 2.00 pm
- Where: Foyer of the Julius-Weisbach-Building, Lampadiusstraße 4
The Scientific Diving Center will present itself with its own stand on the open day (“Campus-Tag”) of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg on Saturday, 18 May 2019 in the foyer of the Julius-Weisbach-Building, situated in the Lampadiusstraße 4. Anyone interested in the work as well as the scientific diver training possibilities of the SDC can visit us there between 10.00 am and 2.00 pm.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at our booth!