Research Funding from the European Union
The TU Bergakademie Freiberg encourages scientists to participate in the programmes of the various funding institutions, primarily of the European Union. Below you find information on important research funding sources, especially on the major programme of the EU – HORIZON 2020.
For questions and advice on EU research matters please contact:
Assistant for EU-Research
Main Building, Akademiestraße 6, Room 1.04
+49 3731 39-2585
Karin [dot] Loetzschzuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
EU-Framework Programme for Research and Innovation HORIZON 2020 (2014-2020)
HORIZON 2020 is the major funding source for European research with some €70 billion of funding available for the years 2014 to 2020. It puts a strong focus on linking research with innovation – taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
The three major pillars of HORIZON 2020 are
EXCELLENT SCIENCE: funding of basic research with the choice of research topic largely up to scientists; individual projects possible; integrates the European Research Council (ERC) und and the Marie Sklodowska Curie Mobility Actions (MSCA) ein.
INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP: largely collaborative projects for research, development and demonstration; involvement of partners from industry and innovative European SMEs
SOCIETAL CHALLENGES: largely collaborative projects addressing topics of major concerns shared by citizens in Europe and elsewhere
Information on calls and applications is available on the PARTICIPANT PORTAL.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Every applicant to HORIZON 2020 programmes requires the PIC-number (Participant Identification Code) of his/her institution. Under this number institutions are registered with the EU-Commission. The PIC for TU BAF is 999 583 934.
OTHER EUROPEAN RESEARCH PROGRAMMES
- Research Fund for Coal and Steel: supports research projects in coal and steel sectors
- European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST): intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and Technology, allowing the coordination of nationally-funded research on a European level
- Intelligent Energy Europe (IEE): programme to support EU energy efficiency and renewable energy policies
- CENTRAL EUROPE: European Union programme to encourage regional cooperation among central European countries
- Ziel III : Programme to support the regional cooperation between the Free State of Saxony and the Czech Republic