University is ending the festivities for its 250th anniversary

vice chancellor Prof. Klaus-Dieter Barbknecht at his welcoming at Alten Mensa ©
The TU Bergakademie is officially ending its festival year with the 250th beginning of the lectures on the 3rd of May 2016. At the closing event at the “Alte Mensa” the audience will learn how much reading material the university's history has to offer.

250 years ago the TU Bergakademie Freiberg was founded as an educational institution for mining engineering. Multiple milestones characterise the university‟s history on the path to being one of the highest profiled technical universities of the present age. The university‟s development, its history and treasures – all leading up to the big anniversary on the 21st of November 2015 - have been recorded in numerous publications. “The documentations show the diverse facets of our university in research and science. We will use the opportunity of the closing event to present the publications, both, the ones published in the anniversary year and the ones recently published” declares vice chancellor Prof. Klaus-Dieter Barbknecht.

After a quick welcoming by the vice chancellor Prof. Jürgen Bast, who is responsible for organising the universities anniversary festivities, will present six of the publications from last year. These include epitomes of the successful research and teaching activities at the institute of ferrous metallurgy from 1874 till 1967 (“Die Freiberger Eisenhüttenkunde”) as well as at the institute for Geotechnics (“Die Geotechnik in Freiberg”), “Bergakademische Geschichten” from grand people, grand scientific performance and fascinating results, the presentation of the 20 collections of the university (“Bergakademische Schätze”), a summary of Freiberg‟s Geosciences and Geoengineering (“Auf der Erde leben”) and an overview of brown coal deposits in Germany (“Die Braunkohlelagerstätten Deutschlands”).

Finally, the authors of the four latest publications will present their works. Prof. Ulrich Groß, author of “Glanzlichter der Forschung”, will provide an insight into the spectrum of the current research at the TU Bergakademie Freiberg. In this publication 50 of the university‟s researchers present their field of studies and show that the university is not only occupied with mining but also with a number of other areas.

Dr. Herbert Kaden, head of the university‟s archive, is presenting the numbers of teachers that have been active throughout the universities 250 years of history and what they contributed to science and research in his profound work “CatalogusProfessorumFribergensis". Readers acquire insight into scientific and vocational careers of the different professors between 1766 and 2015 in 472 short biographical articles.

Prof. Dr. Helmut Albrecht, director of the institute of industrial archaeology, science and technical history, is giving the readers a multi-faceted picture of the complex development from the Ancien Régime in the 18th until the ages of globalisation in the 21st century under the title „Die Bergakademie Freiberg - Eine Hochschulgeschichte im Spiegel ihrer Jubiläen 1765 bis 2015“.

The event will be finalised by the presentation of the anniversary picture book. In chronological order, this book concludes all key points from the beginning of the festival period in March 2015 up to the big anniversary of the foundation of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg on the 21st of November 2015. “I am very happy that so many guests from Germany and abroad, sponsors, members and students of the university have celebrated the anniversary of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg with us. „A picture is worth a thousand words‟, following this saying we have built a small memento for all participants and guests with this picture book” says vice chancellor Barbknecht.

Subsequent to the closing event the university invites all guests and aid workers of the anniversary organisations to a get-together.

All anniversary publications will be available for purchase on the 3rd of May at the “Alte Mensa” and afterwards at the academic bookshop (“Akademische Buchhandlung”) and at the media center of the university (“Medienzentrum”), Prüferstraße 1.

Further information:

About the anniversary publications


Rektor Prof. Klaus-Dieter Barbknecht bei seiner Eröffnungsrede in der Alten Mens
Prof. Jürgen Bast von der Jubiläumskoordination zeigt den Jubiläumsbildband © De
Claudia Baldauf und Prof. Jürgen Bast von der Jubiläumskoordination zeigen den C
Die Jubiläumspublikationen im Überblick © TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Die Jubiläumspublikationen im Überblick © TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Fragen beantwortet / Contact: 
Dr. Sabine Schellbach, Tel.: 39-4399