Travel to Germany / Visa

  • Q: Will TU Bergakademie Freiberg issue an extension letter for VISA application purposes?
    A: No, but you can download your matriculation certificate from the student self service portal with your login credentials. Additionally, you will receive an e-mail from the Admissions Office stating that the “enrolment on site” is possible during the whole semester.
  • Q: Will TU Bergakademie Freiberg issue an enrolment letter?
    A: You can download your matriculation certificate from the student self-service portal with your login credentials.
  • Q: My IELTS degree will expire. Is it necessary to re-take the test? Will the embassy in my home country accept other certificates?
    A: Your IELTS result is only valid for two years from the test date. This is to ensure the reliability of the test results since language skills of individuals may develop or deteriorate in a span of two years. Please note that the application for Visa is within the field of responsibility of the student. We cannot give reliable information about the decision of the embassy. In regard to your studies at TU BAF, there is no need to re-take the test if you have already been enrolled at our university.

Studies and exams

  • Q: Can I change the online course to an on-site course during the semester?
    A: A module that has started as an online event will continue as an online event until its completion.
  • Q: I am enroled for the current semester. Can I continue studying at TUBAF even if I won't be able to travel to Germany in this semester?
    A: Yes, you can re-enrol by paying the semester fee via bank transfer from abroad – further information.
  • Q: How can I download a lecture video?
    A: Lecture videos are hosted on a video platform video (mostly video.tu-freiberg.de). In most cases they can only be streamed and not downloaded.
  • Q: Is it compulsory to register all the semester courses?
    A: There is no formal registration required for courses. In OPAL you should join the respective group of a course in order to receive news and learning material. Attention – exams require registration.
  • Q: Will I receive the recorded versions of lectures?
    A: The lecture videos are hosted on video platforms. They can be viewed by streaming. In OPAL you can find the weblinks.

Fees and payment

  • Q: I have paid the semester fee, but have not yet received any confirmation. What to do?
    A: We ask for your kind patience in this case. Please wait for 10 working days. If you have not received an answer until then, please contact the responsible person according to your admission letter. Please indicate your name, your applicant number and, if available, a receipt of the money transfer/payment.

General questions

  • Q: Is there a semester ticket (public transportation) available at TU Bergakademie Freiberg?
    A: No, unfortunately, there is no semester ticket for students of TU BAF. That is also why our semester fee is comparably low (94 euros only). However, students are offered special rates for railway transportation, e.g. on monthly tickets. Destinations within the city of Freiberg can be reached by foot easily.
  • Q: How can I borrow books from the library?
    A: If you study in Freiberg, please visit the university library with your student ID card an start your personal library account. If you study remotely and haven't got a student ID card, you cannot borrow books. In this case you can search for downloadable literature by using the online catalogue of the university library.

Language certificates and lang. courses

  • Q: Will the IELTS Indicator Online Test be accepted by TU Bergakademie Freiberg?
    A: Generally, the IELTS Indicator online test is temporarily accepted as a contingency solution. However, please be informed that a decision about the acceptance is made separately for each individual application by the Selection Committee.
  • Q: Do I have to provide a proof of German proficiency for the study programmes AMA or MMT?
    A: No, it is not necessary. For our other international Master’s degree courses, please refer to the specific website: https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/study-programmes
  • Q: Is it mandatory to attend German language courses and what are the expected fees?
    A: In most international Master’s degree programmes it is necessary to attend German language courses. The participation is free of charge for students.
  • Q: What is the language level that I will attain in one semester?
    A: 50% of one level for study accompanying language courses, i.e. A1.1 in winter semester and A1.2 in summer semester. You will achieve the A2-level after four semesters.
  • Q: At the beginning of each German language course there will be an entrance level test. Can I fail in this test?
    A: No, this test is just to determine your current language proficiency level, e.g. if you aim for German A2 and your current A1 level has not yet been completed, you will be allocated an A1 course.

Health Insurance

  • Q: Do I have to pay health insurance for the first semester if I can reach Germany no earlier than in the second semester?
    A: No. Health insurance has only to be paid for the semester that you attended physically in Freiberg.
  • Q: If I will arrive in Freiberg at the end of the semester, do I have to pay health insurance?
    A: Not entirely. If you have signed up in a public health insurance, you must pay the monthly contribution from the month of your arrival in Germany, not ealier.

Last updated on 13 October 2021

Top of page