Recommended websites on the topic are:

You can find out whether you need a visa or not on the website of the Federal Foreign Office: Overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany

Symbol "Achtung!"

Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa if you want to stay for more than three months. A tourist visa cannot be converted to a student visa.


Top of page

Proof of sufficient funding for a study visit

  • "From 1 January 2023, the presumed annual requirement that must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa amounts to 11,208 euros." source: Federal Foreign Office
  • "With a blocked account, you can provide evidence during the visa application process that you have adequate financial resources." source: Federal Foreign Office

Providers of a blocked account

Expatrio, Fintiba and Coracle are examples of providers of a blocked account for proof of funding when applying for a visa.

They also offer travel health insurance and health insurance while studying in Germany. With such a combination offer, applicants can save time and effort. A combination contract can be concluded via the internet from the home country.

You can find durther information on the subject of blocked accounts at the website of the Federal Foreign Office

Symbol "Achtung!"

As we can currently observe, the DAAD advises to obtain precise information about the services offered and, if in doubt or unclear, using alternative providers when setting up a blocked account.

Top of page

Academic Evaluation Centres (APS) in China, Vietnam and India

The Academic Examination Centres (APS) in China, Vietnam and India check formal university entrance qualifications for studies at German universities. Among other things, the authenticity of university certificates acquired in these countries is determined.

Applicants from China

Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
100004 Beijing

Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38

Applicants from Vietnam

German Embassy Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh
Hanoi | Vietnam

Telephone: +84 24 3267 3335

Telephone enquiries Monday – Thursday from 2:00 p.m. only.

Applicants from India

As of November 1st 2022 all students holding Indian scholastic or academic records who wish to pursue Studienkolleg, Bachelor or Master studies in Germany will have to submit an APS verification certificate during their visa application. Students who are awarded a scholarship paid for by European funds and Ph.D. applicants whose thesis supervisor does not require an APS certificate for enrollment are exempted from the verification process.
Since APS only verifies Indian scholastic and academic records, students who are holding degrees from international schools (IB, A-Levels, etc.) or international universities may also apply directly for a student visa.

An APS certificate is proof of authenticity for Indian academic documents.
An original certificate issued by the APS is mandatory for the student visa application.
Holding an APS certificate will simplify the application process to the German universities and accelerate student visa application.

further information:

Top of page