Residence permit

The residence title (or residence permit, in German Aufenthaltstitel) is the permit for a longer stay in Germany. All non-EU citizens need it for a stay of more than three months.

EU citizens and citizens from Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland may live in Germany without a residence permit for an unlimited period of time.

  • The residence title is a plastic card the size of a bank card with an integrated RFID chip.
  • The residence title is also called Electronic Residence Title (eAT).
  • The responsible authority to receive the residence title is called "Stabsstelle Ausländer- und Asylangelegenheiten des Landratsamtes Mittelsachsen". It is colloquially called Ausländerbehörde (immigration office).

1. Apply for the residence permit

1.1. Make an appointment with the immigration office

The application for a residence permit must be made in person at the immigration office. The address is Dr.-W.-Külz-Straße 16 in Brand-Erbisdorf, a town close to Freiberg.
The application requires a visit appointment, which you must book via the website of the immigration office and confirm by e-mail.

Procedure for booking appointments:

Screenshot Booking AppointmentOn the booking website, please click first on "Ausländerbehörde", then on "Erteilung/Verlängerung/Übertragung Aufenthaltstitel" (Granting/renewal/transfer of residence permit).

  • After entering the number of persons by clicking on the "+" sign (you must set "1" if you are visiting the authority alone), you must enter your personal data.
  • Then you must select a free date in a calendar.
  • You will then receive an automatically generated e-mail to the e-mail address you entered previously to confirm the selected appointment.
  • Click on the link in this e-mail to confirm the selected appointment. Only then the selected appointment will be sent to the responsible advisor and be checked.
  • If the appointment is successful, you will receive another e-mail confirming the appointment and containing a code that you later must bring to the appointment and enter in an electronic registration system.
  • The booking process is not completed until you receive the second e-mail from your advisor.

1.2. The immigration office

Ein hellgelbes Verwaltungsgebäude mit zwei EtagenStabsstelle Ausländer- und Asylangelegenheiten des Landratsamtes Mittelsachsen
Dr.-W.-Külz-Straße 16
09618 Brand-Erbisdorf

Phone: +49 3731 799-3600

E-mail: auslaenderbehoerdeatlandkreis-mittelsachsen [dot] de

Office hours: By appointment only

How to get there with the public transport (bus): From the main bus station in Freiberg (Platz der Oktoberopfer) take the bus line F to the stop "Brand-Erbisdorf – Dr.-W.-Külz-Straße"

View on large map


1.3. Required application documents

At the immigration office you must present the following documents to apply for a residence permit:

  1. application form completed on the computer: Application for the granting/renewal of a residence permit
  2. passport
  3. registration certificate (see Confirmation of residency)
  4. lease
  5. proof of health insurance
  6. proof of financing your stay (further information: Study in Germany – Proof of financial resources)
  7. certificate of matriculation at the TUBAF; you will receive it after matriculation/enrolment together with your students ID card; later you can download it form the online self-service portal
  8. biometric passport photo (further information: - Please note: There is a photo booth at the immigration office.

Important note: You have to make hardcopies of the documents 2 to 6. The immigration office expects this from the applicant.

1.4. Costs for the initial application

  • processing fee for the first application for a residence permit for a period of up to one year: 100 euros
  • Costs for a period of more than one year: 110 Euro
  • Exceptions apply to DAAD scholarship holders

1.5. How long does it take until the residence permit is ready?

The residence permit is a plastic card that needs approx. 30 days to be made. The "Bundesdruckerei" will inform you by mail (not e-mail) as soon as the card has been made and has been sent to the immigration office. You need another appointment to pick it up.

Top of page

2. Renew the residence permit

Before the expiration of your residence title (the validity date is printed on the chip card) you must extend your residence title in order to be allowed to continue your stay in Germany. You must apply for the extension of your residence title at least six weeks before it expires.

2.1 Submission of applications

2.2 Costs of renewing the residence permit

  • Extension for up to three months: 65,00 Euro
  • Extension for more than three months: 80,00 Euro

Top of page

3. Change the address on the residence permit

If you move within Germany (including within Freiberg), you must give your new address to the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) (see Confirmation of residency) and report the change also to the immigration office.

You must make another appointment at the immigration office and provide your new registration certificate. To do this, you must make an appointment via the booking website. Please select "Ausländerbehörde" first, then "Adressänderung" ("change of the address").

Top of page

4. Leaving Germany for more than 6 months

During their studies in Freiberg, many international students take  advantage of the opportunity to spend a semester at a partner university of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg – a semester abroad.

Please note: If you leave Germany for more than 6 months (consecutive), your residence permit loses its validity. Unless you apply for an extension of this period at the immigration office.

  • If possible, apply for the extension before you leave Freiberg.
  • If you are abroad and your return to Freiberg is postponed so that you have to extend your stay abroad unplanned for longer than 6 months, you have to inform the immigration office in Band-Erbisdorf. You will have to provide evidence of the delay.

Top of page