DAAD scholarship programme "PROMOS"
- Who can apply?
- Eligible stays abroad
- Grant amount
- Combination with other opportunities of financial sponsoring
- Information on insurance
- Application procedure
- Selection procedure
- After information on acceptance
- Contact person
PROMOS (Programm zur Steigerung der Mobilität von deutschen Studierenden - programme to increase the mobility of German students) is a scholarship programme of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The programme promotes stays abroad of regularly registered students of German universities by grants for short-term mobilities. The German universities can set own focuses for supporting the mobility of their students. Beneficiaries should be especially those, whose project or target region does not fit into another structured programme of the DAAD.
Applications can be submitted by
- students regularly registered at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, whose objective is to gain an academic degree at TU Bergakademie Freiberg
- Bachelor and Diplom students: from 3rd semester on
- Master students: from 1st semester on
- for language courses and academic courses also by PhD students.
An application is possible regardless of the nationality. However, non-German applicants and applicants, who are coequal to Germans according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, § 8 BAföG) cannot get a grant for stays in their home countries.
Funding is only possible when the student's primary place of residence is in Germany and when the expectation is justified that he/she will return to Germany after the temporarily stay abroad.
A repeated support within the same academic period (Bachelor, Master, Diplom, PhD) is possible only in certain cases.
The following types of stays abroad, i.e., outside of Germany, are eligible. A sponsorship can only take place as far as no travel warning for the grant period and for the respective region is published by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).
PROMOS grants can be given for stays abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- worldwide (usually not in the Erasmus+ region)
- grant period: 1 to 6 months
- studies at universities or
- stays for thesis projects (also outside universities)
- for students.
Study fees are at student's own expense. PhD students cannot be supported in this programme type.
Semester stays abroad within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when either no Erasmus+ agreement is existing in the relevant field of studies, or the quota of exchange places is exhausted, or the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent.
PROMOS grants can be given for placements abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- worldwide (usually not in the Erasmus+ region)
- grant period: 6 weeks to 6 months
- for students.
PhD students cannot be supported in this programme type.
Work placements abroad within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent.
No scholarships can be given for placements at international organisations (e.g., UNO), EU institutions and institutions/ organisations, which administrate EU programmes, and for placements at the following institutions/ organisations: the German diplomatic representations abroad, the German institutes of humanities, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute and the German schools abroad. For this purpose special funding opportunities of the DAAD exist.
PROMOS grants can be given for language courses abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- grant period: 3 weeks until 6 months
- full-time courses at state universities abroad
- for students and PhD students.
Course fees are at student's own expense. Courses of private organisations/ institutions as well as English and German language courses are excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme.
PROMOS grants can be given for professional courses abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- grant period: 5 days until 6 weeks
- for students and PhD students.
Examples for professional courses are summer schools at foreign universities with a close relationship to the own course of studies at TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
Course fees are at student's own expense.
Lecture tours and conference trips are excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. For these cases, please note the DAAD lecture tours and conference trips programme for PhD students.
Depending on the decision of the selection committee, the granted scholarship can include either the payment of a monthly partial scholarship, or a unique lump sum for travel expenses, or both. The monthly partial scholarship is not necessarily extended to the whole period of the stay abroad, but maybe only to a part of it (e.g., period of the stay: 4 months, granted period: 2 months).
These determinations are always individual by-case decisions. Therefore, it is not possible to make a statement in advance about the grant amount in the case of receiving a scholarship.
The sum of the monthly partial scholarships and the unique lump sums for travel expenses depend on the target country and correspond to the valid list of DAAD. TU Bergakademie Freiberg does neither pay study fee rates (Studiengebührensätze) nor lump sums for course fees (Kursgebührenpauschalen).
Please keep in mind that the PROMOS scholarship is not a full scholarship covering all expenses during the stay abroad, but is only a subsidy. In the period 2012 to 2014 the mean total sum of the grant accounted for was about 1182 EUR per sponsored student (minimum: 175 EUR, maximum: 3225 EUR).
In any case, please state in your application for a PROMOS scholarship, whether you will receive other financial support during the stay abroad or whether you have already applied for it.
You can never receive Erasmus+ and PROMOS grants at the same time.
Study stays and work placements within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when either no Erasmus+ agreement is existing in the relevant field of studies, or the quota of Erasmus+ exchange places is exhausted, or the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent (the latter applies not only in the case of study stays, but also in the case of work placements).
During each study period (Bachelor, Master, Diplom) a PROMOS scholarship for study stays and work placements can be granted only one time for maximum 6 months, i.e., either for one study stay, or for one work placement. In addition to this maximum of 6 months one language course and one professional course can be sponsored in the same period of studies.
In the period of PhD studies one language course and one professional course can be supported.
If you receive support for stays abroad according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG), or if you apply for it, the PROMOS grant must be mentioned at the responsible agency. There you can get also information in which way the PROMOS grant will be set off.
Individual DAAD scholarships and PROMOS scholarships must not be utilised at the same time.
The scholarship Deutschlandstipendium and PROMOS grants can be received at the same time without any restrictions.
Scholarships funded by private capital can be combined with PROMOS scholarships.
In the case of funding the stay abroad by public capital of German sponsors it is generally relevant what is the purpose of the sponsoring. That means, a sponsoring by PROMOS is not possible, if other support funded by public capital from Germany is intended for the same purpose.
It is necessary to mention your PROMOS scholarship with other funding institutions.
It is possible to receive salary and a PROMOS scholarship at the same time. However, during the granted period employments for remuneration are allowed only upon approval by TU Bergakademie Freiberg. The goal of the supported stay abroad must not be jeopardised by the concurrent activity.
Students and PhD students can insure themselves abroad by means of the group tariff of DAAD (combined insurance for health, accidents and personal liability).
Further information are available at the DAAD website. The applicants have to apply at DAAD by themselves.
The complete application includes the following documents:
- Application form, completely filled and signed
- CV in a tabular form with photo; the CV should illustrate the individual suitability of the candidate, as well as the extra-curricular activities/commitments
- Motivation letter with adequate rationale and explanation of the project (please pay attention to these notes)
- ECTS transcript of records, available from Self-Service-Terminal and, additionally for Master students, the Bachelor certificate with its transcript of records
- Proof of sufficient language competence of the local language or language of instruction by certificates (i.e. Unicert) or confirmations (i.e. through the Language Centre); not necessary if you want to attend a language course
- Letter of Confirmation or Internship Contract from the host institution (if not yet available at time of application please submit as soon as you receive this)
- Enrolment Certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) of TU Bergakademie Freiberg, available from Self-Service-Terminal
For stays abroad starting before 30 June 2020 the application deadline is 15 November 2019. Stays abroad starting on or after 1 July 2020 the application deadline is 15 May 2020.
We can only accept complete applications that are submitted before or on the application deadline.
Paper applications should be sent to:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Please do not use protectors, folders or the like.
You may also send your application by email. Please combine all the documents into one PDF file no bigger than 4 MB. Send this document to:
promosiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (subject: Bewerbung%20PROMOS-Stipendium)
The decisive criteria for choosing scholarship holders are:
- convincing reasons and proving the stay abroad is useful for the planned current study
- previous grades and professional qualification
- sufficient knowledge competence of the local language and/or language of instruction
- extra-curricular activities and commitment
The amount granted depends on the eligibility of the applicants. That means in addition to the above mentioned selection criteria the following emphases regarding target region and planned projects are considered:
- Studies at partner universities
- Stays in less "popular" countries and regions that match the internationalisation strategy of the University of Resources, such as Russia, Chile, Mongolia
- Internships have a lower priority than other stays.
These emphases are no criteria for exclusion. All projects that do not match these emphases are eligible for getting funding, provided they fulfil all other criteria.
The scholarship holders are selected by the International Centre Advisory Board (IUZ-Beirat). This committee also decides on the amount granted. The Advisory Board consists of a member of the Rectorate, a member of each faculty, a student representative and a representative from the the Saxon Ministry of Science and the Fine Arts.
All applications are informed by email about whether they are granted a scholarship. This information is usually done within one month after the application deadline.
All applications chosen for a scholarship receive a declaration of acceptance. By returning the original signed document the scholarship agreement comes into effect.
In addition the following documents are to be submitted to the International Centre:
- Arrival Confirmation: Please submit this confirmation within two weeks after your arrival at the host institution to the International Centre.
- Letter of Confirmation: Please submit this confirmation within four weeks after the end of your scholarship period signed and stamped by the host institution to the International Centre. We will need the original version.
Your contact person at the International Centre:
Coordination Exchange Programmes (including ERASMUS+ with Programme Countries)
Akademiestraße 6, room EG.06
Phone +49 3731 39 2619
Fax +49 3731 39 3659
anja [dot] weigliuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de