If you will stay for more than 90 days in Germany, and you are not a citizen of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you have to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde).
This applies also in case of an expiring visa.
1. Getting an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office
It is necessary to apply online for an appointment to visit the Foreigners’ Registration Office one to two weeks in advance: https://termin-abh.landkreis-mittelsachsen.de
Unfortunately the website is available in German language only. Please follow these steps:
- Set 1 (person) by clicking „+“ in the option "ERTEILUNG/VERLÄNGERUNG/ÜBERTRAGUNG AUFENTHALTSTITEL"
- Confirm by clicking on “Weiter” (meaning: „Go on“). Now you have to enter your personal data. After that you have to choose a free day in the calendar.
- You will receive an e-mail with a confirmation link which you have to click to finish the process.
- The appointment is confirmed only after you have received the final confirmation by a staff member of the authority.
2. How to apply for residence permit
For your application, you have to provide the following documents at the Foreigners' Registration Office:
- Completed application form (please download and fill in with a computer, not by hand, then print it out and sign it)
- Passport (with a valid visa or a valid residence permit from another country within the EU)
- Confirmation of residency (Meldebescheinigung) from Freiberg resident's registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt in the Bürgerbüro, Obermarkt 21)
- Rental contract
- Proof of health insurance
- Enrolment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) from TU Bergakademie Freiberg
- Document(s) indicating how you are financing your stay in Germany, e.g. by scholarship, parents, savings, or a recent (not older than a few days) German bank account statement that shows a deposit at least 720 Euros per month
- Biometric passport photograph: It is important that it suits the standards of a biometric portrait picture (see https://www.persofoto.com/lexicon/passport/how-do-i-make-a-biometric-passport-photo). There is a photo booth at the Foreigners’ Registration Office.
The administrative charge is 110 euros, DAAD scholarship holders are exempt from this fee
Address and contact information
You have to submit the application for residence permit in person. For this you have to visit the Foreigners' Registration Office. The address is:
Stabsstelle Ausländer- und Asylangelegenheiten des Landratsamtes Mittelsachsen
Am Rotvorwerk 3
09599 Freiberg, District Zug
Phone: +49 3731 799-3600
E-mail: auslaenderbehoerdelandkreis-mittelsachsen [dot] de
- Tues/Thurs: 9 a.m. – 12 noon & 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. – 12 noon
- Mon/Wed: by appointment only
Access by public transport
Take bus line F from the bus station (Busbahnhof) to the stop “Industriegebiet Nord/ Autohaus”.
- Submit only complete documents as original and as copy.
- If you have a buddy, you should ask her/him to accompany and translate for you.
- International students
- Virtual Preparation Course
- Degree programmes
- Refugees as prospective students
- ERASMUS+ programme
- Doctoral students
- Before studying
- While studying
- Living in Freiberg
- Going abroad
- International Cooperations
- International Centre