The PROMOS scholarship programme by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) aims to increase the mobility of German students. It is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
You can apply for a PROMOS scholarship if you are planning a stay outside of Europe or if no funding is possible within the frame of the Erasmus program.
Important: The PROMOS scholarship does not organise your internship, neither it will organise your university place abroad. If you require assistance, please feel free to reach out to my colleagues Ms. Weigl and/or Ms. Luft in the international office.
PROMOS is solely intended for the financial support -subject to the successful evaluation of your application- by means of a partial scholarship.
NEW: The United Kingdom (UK) as a non-EU member state has now been classified as a possible destination country for stays abroad.
A stay abroad in the UK is thus eligible to be funded via PROMOS, alike all countries outside the Erasmus region.
Last updated: 8 March 2022
Powerpoint Slides (available in German only)
Call for Application and Funding Rates
The scholarship is exclusively based on the DAAD funding rates.
PROMOS grantees receive a monthly partial stipend (number of partial stipends is dependant on the selection committee's decision) AND/OR a mobility lump sum (mobility allowance).
Arrival and departure are not considered as part of the stay data; it is the actual study or work stay on site that counts.
The funding amount is subject to the destination country. Please also see the information below with respect to the funding amount.
Eligible stays abroad are...
- Studies (at universities or for thesis projects): from one to six months
- Internships (normally outside of Europe): from six weeks to 6 months
- Language courses: from three weeks to six months; PhDs are also eligible for funding
- Specialised courses (e.g. Summer Schools* or workshops at universities abroad): up to six weeks; PhDs are also eligible for funding
Prerequisites (Who can apply?)
- All registered full-time and regular students of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg (including international students) who intend to finish their degree in Freiberg;
- Bachelor or Diploma students in their third study semester or higher;
- Master degree students in their first study semester or higher;
- PhDs interesting in receiving funding of language and specialised courses;
- Adequate knowledge of the specific teaching language at the partner university (at least language level B2 [ECFR])
April 30th for stays starting in the second half of the year (extended to May 22nd)
November 15th for stays starting in the first half of the following year
- Application form (only if English version is preferred)
- Tabular resume showing your personal suitability and extracurricular commitment; including passport photo
- Letter of motivation with an adequate explanation and description of your planned activities (please also see the following instructions [German only])
- ECTS transcript of records / if you are a Master's student, please also submit your Bachelor's certificate
- Proof of sufficient language skills in the working language of the host institution by means of language certificates (e.g. Unicert) or confirmations (e.g. by the Fachsprachenzentrum; the DAAD language certificate can be used for this purpose; please be sure to make an appointment with the respective lecturer!); not required for language courses abroad
- Confirmation of supervision/ certificate of enrollment/ contract of the host institution or, if not yet available at the time of application, proof of contact (if this is also not yet available at the time of application, please submit it promptly)
- Certificate of enrollment of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg
All documents are to be submitted in single copy. Please do not submit stapled documents, stapled in a binder, etc. but as a collection of loose paper work. Application documents will not be returned after the application process.
Please note that your application will only be considered and admitted for the selection process if the documents have been submitted completely and within the deadline. In exceptional cases with justified reasons, documents such as the supervisor's confirmation may be submitted within a few days after the deadline upon prior agreement of the International Office.
Please send hard copy applications without binders or transparencies to:
Internationales Universitätszentrum (IUZ)
FAO: Herrn Marcus Dietrich
Submission by e-mail, which should not be larger than 4 MB, is possible as a single PDF document to promosiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Important: Your application does not guarantee that you will be granted the PROMOS scholarship.
- Application form
> required for your application (see application)
- Arrival Confirmation
> please submit to the IUZ no later than two weeks after arrival at the host institution.
- Letter of Confirmation
> please submit the original document to the IUZ (including stamp and signature of the host institution) no later than four weeks after your return to Germany.
- Powerpoint Slides (available in German only)
- PROMOS - Call for Applications 2022
- Language certificate for candidates from Germany applying for a DAAD scholarship abroad
Regulations in regard to Corona/ Stay abroad online
If your stay abroad will be partly in a digital format, please notify promosiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de. We will check the eligibility for funding and decide on an individual basis.
It is possible that study stays, internships, specialised and language courses can be started and funded if they are held remotely (by means of the monthly partial stipend) and, if the situation in the target country allows for travel, to continue the stay in attendance (on-site).
If the situation in the destination country allows for travel after your stay has begun remotely, the partial stipend for mobility (mobility lump sum) can be paid additionally (of course only, if you have been selected to receive the mobility lump sum).
Sollte es die Situation im Zielland zulassen, dass die online begonnene Maßnahme in Präsenz weitergeführt werden kann, kann zusätzlich das Teilstipendium für Mobilität ausgezahlt werden.
If it should not be possible to leave Germany, your "stay abroad" can also be carried out entirely online subject to certain conditions.
Further information is available in German language at https://www.daad.de/de/corona-daad-projektfoerderung/
Insurance Cover Abroad
The selected scholarship holders are personally responsible with regard to taking out suitable insurance cover while abroad. Those who are funded within the framework of PROMOS can, for example, use the DAAD group insurance.
When planning your stay abroad, please take note of the travel warnings issued by the German Foreign Office. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, warnings are currently being issued for non-essential tourist travel to many countries. The travel warnings are mostly related to tourist travel. Thus, it is possible to apply for the PROMOS scholarship.
We ask all students to inform themselves about the respective entry restrictions, quarantine regulations and the test obligation of the destination country before starting their trip. In addition, please also check the general possibility of the trip as well as the relevance of the planned stay abroad.
Funding is excluded in regions where travel warnings have been issued by the German Foreign Office due to security concerns (wars, political instability or similar).
We strongly recommend to register on the "Elefand" crisis care list of the German Foreign Office for the duration: https://elefand.diplo.de)
Fulbright Travel Grants
Students of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg who intend to study in the USA are recommended to apply for a Fulbright travel grant in addition to the PROMOS application.
Please also inform us in good time promosiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (by e-mail) if your data have changed or you should not start your stay abroad.
Please see below for further information on the PROMOS scholarship.
Coordination of Exchange Programmes, Team Assistant / Cross-functional tasks
Akademiestraße 6, Room EG.20
Phone: +49 3731 39-2651
marcus [dot] dietrichzuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
- Exchange Programs: ERASMUS+ with program countries - KA 131 (incoming), PROMOS, GO EAST, KOSPIE
- Who can apply?
- Eligible stays abroad
- Grant amount
- Combination with other opportunities of financial sponsoring
- Information on insurance
- Application procedure
- Selection procedure
- After information on acceptance
PROMOS (Programm zur Steigerung der Mobilität von deutschen Studierenden - programme to increase the mobility of German students) is a scholarship programme of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The programme promotes stays abroad of regularly registered students of German universities by grants for short-term mobilities. The German universities can set own focuses for supporting the mobility of their students. Beneficiaries should be especially those, whose project or target region does not fit into another structured programme of the DAAD.
Applications can be submitted by
- students regularly registered at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, whose objective is to gain an academic degree at TU Bergakademie Freiberg
- Bachelor and Diplom students: from 3rd semester on
- Master students: from 1st semester on
- for language courses and academic courses also by PhD students.
An application is possible regardless of the nationality. However, non-German applicants and applicants, who are coequal to Germans according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, § 8 BAföG) cannot get a grant for stays in their home countries.
Funding is only possible when the student's primary place of residence is in Germany and when the expectation is justified that he/she will return to Germany after the temporarily stay abroad.
A repeated support within the same academic period (Bachelor, Master, Diplom, PhD) is possible only in certain cases.
The following types of stays abroad, i.e., outside of Germany, are eligible. A sponsorship can only take place as far as no travel warning for the grant period and for the respective region is published by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).
PROMOS grants can be given for stays abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- worldwide (usually not in the Erasmus+ region)
- grant period: 1 to 6 months
- studies at universities or
- stays for thesis projects (also outside universities)
- for students.
Study fees are at student's own expense. PhD students cannot be supported in this programme type.
Semester stays abroad within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when either no Erasmus+ agreement is existing in the relevant field of studies, or the quota of exchange places is exhausted, or the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent.
PROMOS grants can be given for placements abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- worldwide (usually not in the Erasmus+ region)
- grant period: 6 weeks to 6 months
- for students.
PhD students cannot be supported in this programme type.
Work placements abroad within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent.
No scholarships can be given for placements at international organisations (e.g., UNO), EU institutions and institutions/ organisations, which administrate EU programmes, and for placements at the following institutions/ organisations: the German diplomatic representations abroad, the German institutes of humanities, the Goethe Institutes, the German Archaeological Institute and the German schools abroad. For this purpose special funding opportunities of the DAAD exist.
PROMOS grants can be given for language courses abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- grant period: 3 weeks until 6 months
- full-time courses at state universities abroad
- for students and PhD students.
Course fees are at student's own expense. Courses of private organisations/ institutions are excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme.
PROMOS grants can be given for professional courses abroad, which fulfil the following requirements:
- grant period: 5 days until 6 weeks
- for students and PhD students.
Examples for professional courses are summer schools at foreign universities with a close relationship to the own course of studies at TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
Course fees are at student's own expense.
Lecture tours and conference trips are excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. For these cases, please note the DAAD lecture tours and conference trips programme for PhD students.
Depending on the decision of the selection committee, the granted scholarship can include either the payment of a monthly partial scholarship, or a unique lump sum for travel expenses, or both. The monthly partial scholarship is not necessarily extended to the whole period of the stay abroad, but maybe only to a part of it (e.g., period of the stay: 4 months, granted period: 2 months).
These determinations are always individual by-case decisions. Therefore, it is not possible to make a statement in advance about the grant amount in the case of receiving a scholarship.
The sum of the monthly partial scholarships and the unique lump sums for travel expenses depend on the target country and correspond to the valid list of DAAD. TU Bergakademie Freiberg does neither pay study fee rates (Studiengebührensätze) nor lump sums for course fees (Kursgebührenpauschalen).
Please keep in mind that the PROMOS scholarship is not a full scholarship covering all expenses during the stay abroad, but is only a subsidy. In the period 2012 to 2014 the mean total sum of the grant accounted for was about 1182 EUR per sponsored student (minimum: 175 EUR, maximum: 3225 EUR).
In any case, please state in your application for a PROMOS scholarship, whether you will receive other financial support during the stay abroad or whether you have already applied for it.
You can never receive Erasmus+ and PROMOS grants at the same time.
Study stays and work placements within the Erasmus+ region are usually excluded from the PROMOS scholarship programme. However, exceptions apply when either no Erasmus+ agreement is existing in the relevant field of studies, or the quota of Erasmus+ exchange places is exhausted, or the student has already exhausted his individual Erasmus+ time contingent (the latter applies not only in the case of study stays, but also in the case of work placements).
During each study period (Bachelor, Master, Diplom) a PROMOS scholarship for study stays and work placements can be granted only one time for maximum 6 months, i.e., either for one study stay, or for one work placement. In addition to this maximum of 6 months one language course and one professional course can be sponsored in the same period of studies.
In the period of PhD studies one language course and one professional course can be supported.
If you receive support for stays abroad according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG), or if you apply for it, the PROMOS grant must be mentioned at the responsible agency. There you can get also information in which way the PROMOS grant will be set off.
Individual DAAD scholarships and PROMOS scholarships must not be utilised at the same time.
The scholarship Deutschlandstipendium and PROMOS grants can be received at the same time without any restrictions.
Scholarships funded by private capital can be combined with PROMOS scholarships.
In the case of funding the stay abroad by public capital of German sponsors it is generally relevant what is the purpose of the sponsoring. That means, a sponsoring by PROMOS is not possible, if other support funded by public capital from Germany is intended for the same purpose.
It is necessary to mention your PROMOS scholarship with other funding institutions.
It is possible to receive salary and a PROMOS scholarship at the same time. However, during the granted period employments for remuneration are allowed only upon approval by TU Bergakademie Freiberg. The goal of the supported stay abroad must not be jeopardised by the concurrent activity.
Students and PhD students can insure themselves abroad by means of the group tariff of DAAD (combined insurance for health, accidents and personal liability).
Further information are available at the DAAD website. The applicants have to apply at DAAD by themselves.
The complete application includes the following documents:
- Application form, completely filled and signed
- CV in a tabular form with photo; the CV should illustrate the individual suitability of the candidate, as well as the extra-curricular activities/commitments
- Motivation letter with adequate rationale and explanation of the project (please pay attention to these notes)
- ECTS transcript of records, available from Self-Service-Terminal and, additionally for Master students, the Bachelor certificate with its transcript of records
- Proof of sufficient language competence of the local language or language of instruction by certificates (i.e. Unicert) or confirmations (i.e. through the Language Centre); not necessary if you want to attend a language course
- Letter of Confirmation or Internship Contract from the host institution (if not yet available at time of application please submit as soon as you receive this)
- Enrolment Certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) of TU Bergakademie Freiberg, available from Self-Service-Terminal
For stays abroad starting before 30 June 2021 the application deadline is 30 November 2020. Stays abroad starting on or after 1 July 2021 the application deadline is 15 May 2021.
We can only accept complete applications that are submitted before or on the application deadline.
Paper applications should be sent to:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Please do not use protectors, folders or the like.
You may also send your application by email. Please combine all the documents into one PDF file no bigger than 4 MB. Send this document to:
promosiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (subject: Bewerbung%20PROMOS-Stipendium)
The decisive criteria for choosing scholarship holders are:
- convincing reasons and proving the stay abroad is useful for the planned current study
- previous grades and professional qualification
- sufficient knowledge competence of the local language and/or language of instruction
- extra-curricular activities and commitment
The amount granted depends on the eligibility of the applicants. That means in addition to the above mentioned selection criteria the following emphases regarding target region and planned projects are considered:
- Studies at partner universities
- Stays in less "popular" countries and regions that match the internationalisation strategy of the University of Resources, such as Russia, Chile, Mongolia
- Internships have a lower priority than other stays.
These emphases are no criteria for exclusion. All projects that do not match these emphases are eligible for getting funding, provided they fulfil all other criteria.
The scholarship holders are selected by the International Centre Advisory Board (IUZ-Beirat). This committee also decides on the amount granted. The Advisory Board consists of a member of the Rectorate, a member of each faculty, a student representative and a representative from the the Saxon Ministry of Science and the Fine Arts.
All applications are informed by email about whether they are granted a scholarship. This information is usually done within one month after the application deadline.
All applications chosen for a scholarship receive a declaration of acceptance. By returning the original signed document the scholarship agreement comes into effect.
In addition the following documents are to be submitted to the International Centre:
- Arrival Confirmation: Please submit this confirmation within two weeks after your arrival at the host institution to the International Centre.
- Letter of Confirmation: Please submit this confirmation within four weeks after the end of your scholarship period signed and stamped by the host institution to the International Centre. We will need the original version.
Bannerfoto: TU Bergakademie Freiberg/privat