Travelling to Freiberg
Emergency number of the International Office
New international students can call the International Office by dialing the emergency number. It is only available at the beginning of a semester.
The emergency number is: +49 (0)176 76428076
PLEASE USE THIS NUMBER ONLY IN EMERGENGIES.
Travelling by plane and train
Freiberg is located between Dresden and Chemnitz. Each of these cities lies 40 kilometres away from Freiberg. At least once per hour a train is leaving Dresden or Chemnitz towards Freiberg.
- If you are travelling via Prague Airport, you can reach Freiberg from Prague Main Station (Praha hl.n.) by Eurocity or long-distance bus via Dresden.
- If you are travelling via Berlin Airport (BER), you can reach Freiberg by direct Intercity or long-distance bus (Flixbus) via Dresden.
- If you are arriving via Frankfurt (Main) Airport, you can reach Freiberg with an Intercity Express via Dresden or with a long-distance bus (Flixbus) via Dresden or Leipzig.
To find a travel connection to Freiberg by public transport, we recommend the website or app of Deutsche Bahn.
Further information on how to get to Freiberg is available on the website of the city of Freiberg.
Getting to the accommodation from the train station
- Freiberg train station is located outside the city centre. With light luggage you can reach the centre on foot in about 15 minutes.
- Cabs are available outside the train station. To pre-order a taxi by phone, call +49 3731 32134 (company "Taxi Hähnel") or +49 3731 26270 (company "Funk-Taxi-Service GmbH"). Please order in German language.
- The name of the bus stop at the train station is "Freiberg (Sachs), Bahnhof". If you want to take the bus to campus, you have to go to the bus stop "Freiberg (Sachs), Agricolastr/Universität".
You find the bus departure times on the website regiobus.com (only available in German language).
Get the support of a buddy
We recommend to register for the Buddy programme. The buddy can help you after the arrival in Freiberg. Please don't forget to inform your buddy timely in advance about the time of your arrival.
Travelling by car
From the A4 motorway (exit 75 – Siebenlehn) you have to drive about 17 kilometres on the federal road 101 to Freiberg. Please follow the signs leading to Freiberg.
Notes: In Germany, there are no road or motorway tolls. Leaded gasoline is not available. Free parking is available near the student dormitories.