- No tuition fees
- Semester fee
- Costs and expenses
- Residence permit
- Semester ticket (bus and train)
- Broadcasting fee (Rundfunkbeitrag)
The average living costs in Freiberg/Saxony in Germany are 640 € to 760 € per month, depending also on your lifestyle and daily expenses.
Public universities in Germany do not charge tuition fees for most degree courses. A common exception are Master degree courses taught in English. TU Bergakademie Freiberg does not charge tuition fees, even for the Master degree courses in English.
The only exception is if you are planning on doing a second degree (e.g. you already have a Master degree and want to obtain a second Master degree), where a fee of 300 € per semester has to be paid.
All students at a university must pay the so-called semester fee. The semester fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg is currently 94 € and consists of 87 € social contribution for the Studentenwerk Freiberg and of 7 € for the student council (Studentenrat).
Expectable costs when studying in Freiberg
- Rent including utilities (heating, hot water, waste disposal, electricity): 200 to 320 €
- Supply of electricity (on person): 25 €
- Food, home necessities, laundry, etc.: approx. 240 €
- Public health insurance: 110 € (applies to students under 30 years, above this age the monthy cost is 190 €)
- Phone and mobile internet: circa 8 €
- Train ticket – average price for 100 kilometers without discount card: 26 €
- Obligatory Germany-wide television and radio fee (obligatory also for students from abroad and for stays of less than one semester): 17.50 €
Sum: 638,50 € to 758,50 €
Typical dayly expenses – Groceries
(prices depend on where you buy it, except special offers)
- bread, 1 kg: 2,50 € to 3,50 €
- white bread, 1 kg: 1.30 € to 3.00 €
- rice, 1 kg: 3.00 € to 3.70 €
- potatoes, 1 kg: 1.00 €
- apples, 1kg: 2,00 € to 3,50 €
- tomatos, 1 kg: 3.00 € to 4.00 €
- milk, 1 litre: 0.69 € to 1.30 €
- eggs, 6 pieces: 1.50 € to 2,30 €
- semi-hard cheese, 150 g: 2.00 €
- chicken breast (boneless, without skin, 1 kg): 7,00 € to 10.00 €
- one bottle of white wine, 1 l: 3.00 € to 6.00 €
- beer, 1 l: 1.50 € to 2.20 €
Typical dayly expenses – Leisure and culture
- Sports courses at the University Sports Centre cost 15 € to 30 € per semester
- A visit to the cinema: 6.50 € to 8.80 € (depending on the day of the week)
- Theatre tickets for students (reduced): 8 €
- A visits to the terra mineralia, the mineral exhibition is free of charge for students of TU BAF
The processing fee for the residence permit for up to one year is 100 euros. The fee for the residence title of more than one year is 110 euros (exceptions apply to DAAD scholarship holders).
Unfortunately there is no semester ticket for train and local transport (bus) at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Discounted monthly tickets can be purchased at the service point of the Deutsche Bahn (Freiberg train station).
Every adult person who lives in Germany for more than 3 months must pay the broadcasting fee. International students are not exempt from this rule. The amount of the fee is 18,36 € per month.
Further information in English, French, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Turkish, Arabic, Farsi, Somali and Tigrinya can be found on the website of the ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio contribution service.