How to apply for a Master degree programme
- How to apply for a Master programme taught in English language
- How to apply for a Master programme taught in German language
- Apply for Visa
- Important notes for applicants from certain countries
At TU Bergakademie Freiberg you can apply for a Master's programme which is taught in English (1) or in German (2).
Information on how to apply for a Master programme taught in English are available at the appropriate website:
- Advanced Materials Analysis
- Advanced Mineral Resource Development (AMRD)
- Computational Materials Science (CMS)
- Geomatics for Mineral Resource Management
- Groundwater Management
- International Business and Resources in Emerging Markets (IBRE)
- Mechanical and Process Engineering (MPE)
- Metallic Materials Technology (MMT)
- Sustainable Mining and Remediation Management (MoRe)
- Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management (SINReM)
- Technology and Application of Inorganic Engineering Materials (TAIEM)
A Bachelor degree (or an equivalent) is required to apply successfully to a Master degree programme. Most of our Master degree programmes are consecutive programmes (meaning: they built up on a specific Bachelor degree programme of TU Bergakademie Freiberg). The content of our Bachelor degree programmes you find in the examination and study regulations as well as in the module handbook of the respective degree programme.
To be admitted to a Master degree programme in German language, adequate command of German language is required.
- Already at the application stage you have to prove German language proficiency at level A1 (150 hours of German language instruction)
- To be admitted to the actual degree programme in German language you need to pass the DSH examination ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" – DSH). It can be taken at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Depending on the results of this examination, either the DSH-1, DSH-2 or DSH-3 grade can be achieved. DSH-1 is not sufficient to study in German, only DSH-2 or DSH-3 are sufficient.
- The International Centre offers German language courses for study preparation at the levels A2/B1 and B2/C1.
- You are not required to pass the DSH examination if you have one of the following certificates:
- Abitur or Hochschulzugangsberechtigung from a German school
- German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministry of Education and Culture
- Minor or Major Goethe-Institut German Language Certificate or the Central Advanced Language Test
- German as a Foreign Language Test (Test DaF) with intermediate level (TDN 4) in all sections
- German language section of the qualification assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung)
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
Individual modules (lectures) in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Additionally, some of the specialist literature is only available in English. Therefore it is very important that, in addition to the German language skills, a student has also good command of English (at least at level B2).
- Completed form Application for admission (Additional information to the application form)
- Certified copie/s of higher education certificate/s (e. g. Bachelor certificate)
- If necessary: officially attested translations of the above into German or English (see Certified translation)
- Certified copy of a proof of German language proficiency (see Entry requirements)
- Up-to-date passport photo
A certified translation into German or English is required for each application document if it is not available in at least one of these languages. To apply, you must submit the document in its original language and in the certified translation.
What a "certified translation" is and who may produce it varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official translation, since it is produced by an expert translator approved in the country concerned by the relevant association or body.
A certified copy is usually issued by a German diplomatic mission abroad in your country.
The following application deadlines for applicants from abroad apply:
1. Application deadlines in case a study preparatory course (e.g. German language intensive course or Studienkolleg/Preparatory College) is required:
- 30 April for the following winter semester
- 31 October for the following summer semester
Note: These deadlines also apply to those applicants who wish to take the DSH exam at TU Bergakademie Freiberg immediately before the start of their studies.
2. Application deadlines in case you are ready to study in Germany and in German language without further preparation:*
- 15 July for the following winter semester
- 15 January for the following summer semester
(* This means that you already have direct access to higher education in Germany and the DSH-2 certificate or an equivalent language certificate)
Applications for a Master programme in German language are processed by TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Please send your complete application documents to this address:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
You can find helpful information about visa for studying in Germany on the website study-in-germany.de of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD):
- Visa and residence permit – Applying for the correct visa
- Proof of financial resources 10,236 Euros for one year
Whether you need a visa for Germany or not you can see on the website of the Federal Foreign Office: Overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany
In addition to the complete application applicants from China have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Beijing concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed. The address of the Board of Examiners is:
Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der
Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38
Fax: +86 10 65 90 71 40
E-mail: kuaps163bj [dot] com
The precondition for the accreditation of Moroccan applicants for the TU Bergakademie Freiberg is the certification of qualification for university matriculation (Baccalaureat de l’enseignement secondaire) with grade „assez bien“ or better or the certification of qualification for university matriculation with grade „passable“ together with at least one successful year of studies in home country.
In addition to the complete application applicants from Vietnam have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Hanoi concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed. The address of the Board of Examiners is:
Deutsche Botschaft in Hanoi - APS
29 Tran Phu
Q. Ba Dinh
Telephone: 0084 4 / 845 38 36-7
Fax: 0084 4 / 843 99 69
E-mail: ku-101hano [dot] auswaertiges-amt [dot] de