How to apply for a Master degree programme
1. How to apply for a Master programme taught in English language
Information on how to apply for a Master programme taught in English are available at the appropriate website:
- Advanced Materials Analysis
- Advanced Mineral Resource Development (AMRD)
- Computational Materials Science (CMS)
- Geomatics for Mineral Resource Management
- Groundwater Management
- International Management of Resources & Environment (IMRE)
- International Business of Developing and Emerging Markets (IBDEM)
- Mechanical and Process Engineering (MPE)
- Metallic Materials Technology (MMT)
- Sustainable Mining and Remediation Management (MoRe)
- Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management (SINReM)
- Technology and Application of Inorganic Engineering Materials (TAIEM)
2. How to apply for a Master programme taught in German language
2.1. Entry requirements
Higher Education Certificate
A Bachelor degree (or an equivalent) is required to apply successfully to a Master degree programme. Most of our Master degree programmes are consecutive programmes (meaning: they built up on a specific Bachelor degree programme of TU Bergakademie Freiberg). The content of our achelor degree programmes you find in the examination and study regulations as well as in the module handbook of the respective degree programme.
A) Command of German
To be admitted to a Master degree programme in German language, adequate command of German language is required.
- Already at the application stage you have to prove German language proficiency at level A1 (150 hours of German language instruction)
- To be admitted to the actual degree programme in German language you need to pass the DSH examination ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" – DSH). It can be taken at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Depending on the results of this examination, either the DSH-1, DSH-2 or DSH-3 grade can be achieved. DSH-1 is not sufficient to study in German, only DSH-2 or DSH-3 are sufficient.
- The International Centre offers German language courses for study preparation at the levels A2/B1 and B2/C1.
You are not required to pass the DSH examination if you have one of the following certificates:
- Abitur or Hochschulzugangsberechtigung from a German school
- German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministres of Education and Culture
- Minor or Major Goethe-Institut German Language Certificate or the Central Advanced Language Test
- German as a Foreign Language Test (Test DaF) with intermediate level (TDN 4) in all sections
- German language section of the qualification assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung)
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
Command of English
Individual modules (lectures) in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Additionally, some of the specialist literature is only available in English. Therefore it is very important that, in addition to the German language skills, a student has also good command of English (at least at level B2).
2.2. Application documents
- Completed form Application for admission (Additional information to the application form)
- Certified copie/s of higher education certificate/s (e. g. Bachelor certificate)
- If necessary: officially attested translations of the above into German or English (see Certified translation)
- Certified copy of a proof of German language proficiency (see Entry requirements)
- Up-to-date passport photo
A certified translation into German or English is required for each application document if it is not available in at least one of these languages. To apply, you must submit the document in its original language and in the certified translation.
What a "certified translation" is and who may produce it varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official translation, since it is produced by an expert translator approved in the country concerned by the relevant association or body.
A certified copy is usually issued by a German diplomatic mission abroad in your country.
2.3. Application deadlines for Master programmes taught in German
The following application deadlines for applicants from abroad apply:
1. Application deadlines in case visa is required as well in case German language intensive course with DSH exam is required
- 30 April for the following winter semester
- 31 October for the following summer semester
2. Application deadlines in case visa is not required as well in case your German language proficiency is already sufficient to study in German without further preparation
- 15 July for the following winter semester
- 15 January for the following summer semester
Applications for a Master programme in German language are processed by TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Please send your complete application documents to this address:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
3. Apply for Visa
You can find helpful information about visa for studying in Germany on the website study-in.de of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD):
- Visa and residence permit – Applying for the correct visa
- Proof of financial resources – 8,700 euros for one year
Whether you need a visa for Germany or not you can see on the website of the Federal Foreign Office: Overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany
In addition to the complete application applicants from China have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Beijing concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed. The address of the Board of Examiners is:
Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der
Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38
Fax: +86 10 65 90 71 40
E-mail: kuaps163bj [dot] com
The precondition for the accreditation of Moroccan applicants for the TU Bergakademie Freiberg is the certification of qualification for university matriculation (Baccalaureat de l’enseignement secondaire) with grade „assez bien“ or better or the certification of qualification for university matriculation with grade „passable“ together with at least one successful year of studies in home country.
In addition to the complete application applicants from Mongolia have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Ulan Bator concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed.
Contact: aps-ulanmongol [dot] net
In addition to the complete application applicants from Vietnam have to submit another document issued by the Academic Board of Examiners in Hanoi concerning the evidence of their results which has been validated. Without this document the applications cannot be processed. The address of the Board of Examiners is:
Deutsche Botschaft in Hanoi - APS
29 Tran Phu
Q. Ba Dinh
Telephone: 0084 4 / 845 38 36-7
Fax: 0084 4 / 843 99 69
E-mail: ku-101hano [dot] auswaertiges-amt [dot] de
- International students
- Going abroad
- International Cooperations
- International Centre