You became familiar with the research profile of TU Bergakademie Freiberg and would now like to apply for doctoral studies at our university?
The following information will help you and are a guideline through the application procedure.
- Admission Requirements
- Application procedure
- Application papers
- What to do after application?
- Funding opportunities for doctoral studies
- Master´s degree, Magister or Diploma (equivalent to German standard) in a relevant subject with very good to excellent results
- Master´s degree (FH) or Diploma (FH): under special prerequisites (see §4 of the Regulations of the Faculties for the Award of Doctorates)
- Bachelor's degree only with very good to excellent results, and a preparatory study year and an aptitude test
- good to very good command of German or English
There are two possible ways for application for doctoral studies:
Personal application directly with the professor of your subject or with the spokesperson of the relevant Graduate School
If either you already have found a professor, who is willing to supervise you during doctoral studies or if you are interested in participation in a Graduate School please send the following application papers directly to this professor or to the spokesperson of the relevant Graduate School:
Spokepeople of the Graduate Schools:
- Graduate school of the SFB 799 "Trip-Matrix-Composite": Prof. Biermann
- Graduate School of the Collaborative Research Center 920: "Multi-Functional Filters for Metal Melt Filtration - A Contribution towards Zero Defect Materials": Prof. Aneziris
- Dr. Erich Krüger Research School "Biohydrometallurgical Centre for Strategic Elements": Prof. Schlömann
- Graduate School "History of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg in the 21st century": Prof. Albrecht
Application via the Centre of Advanced Study and Research (Graduierten- und Forschungsakademie) - for applicants who are not in contact with one of our professors yet
Applications via the Centre of Advanced Study and Research are possible on announced topics
After the application documents have been checked regarding completeness and fulfillment of the admission requirements they will be forwarded to the appropriate professor. The selection of the applicants will be done only by the professor himself.
- Curriculum vitae
- Officially stamped or notarized copies of degree(s) obtained, in the original language and a corresponding translation in either English, German or French
- Officially stamped or notarized copies of detailed transcripts of records of all courses completed during your studies in the original language and a corresponding translation in either English, German or French
- If available: List of previous scientific and research activities, including publications (about one page)
- Information about the chosen topic and the code-number of the topic
- Detailed description of the topic of your doctorate project (proposal)
- If necessary: proof of German and/or English language knowledge
Please be aware that only if all application documents are complete we can guarantee a processing of the application.
Send your application to Dr. Corina Dunger by mail corina [dot] dungergrafa [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Only if the professor agrees to supervise you please complete the Declaration of Intent and submit it to your supervisor. Your supervisor will forward the "Declaration of Intent" and all necessary documents to the appropriate Faculty Board. The Faculty Board decides on the qualification of the candidate to undertake a doctoral thesis.Applicants for whom exists a visa obligation have to apply for admission to doctoral studies at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. But also all other doctoral students are recommended to enrol at our university. Regarding the new Immatrikulationsordnung this is possible for all doctoral students irrespective of whether they are employed with either the TU Bergakademie Freiberg or another company/institution and independently on the number of hours of the position.
For admission to doctoral studies please send the completed form Application form for Admission to Studies for Foreign Applicants (Information Leaflet on the Application Form for Admission) directly to the Office for Admission.