- Learning Outcome
- Entry level and prerequisite
- Programme framework
Download the flyer here.
To empower international PhD students to take active part in different development programmes for developing or emerging countries. With a focus on practice, they are prepared for their future professional careers following the principles of good governance. Such is concentrated on skills, subjects and projects that are important for environmental, political, economic and in particular, social development in their countries of origin. The programme is also aimed at the development of participants as partners for German academia, political and industrial institutions.
At the end of the two years program, participants
- will have developed a real project in or with their home countries,
- familiarized themselves with the skills needed in all phases of project cycle especially in developing regions.
- this includes, planning social oriented start-ups and
- drafting of project applications and terms of reference by donors and beneficiary countries.
- it also includes mechanisms for monitoring and enhancing transparency and fairness in their countries.
Participants will also acquire the needed skills for diverse career opportunities including academia.
In addition to opportunities in academia, participants will be able to access leading positions of project management and consultant in firms, development oriented NGOs, research department of firms, international organizations etc. They will have capacity to initiate corporations or social oriented start-ups within their home countries or in partnership with German institutions.
EMPOWER is a two years practice oriented training program that includes field missions, conferences, seminars and excursions. Course includes:
- Project management, practice of MS project
- Project cycle management and international tenders
- Good governance coaching
- Training on leadership, interpersonal and work related skills
- Interactive sessions with personalities from political, economic and science world
- Challenges to organize funding for excursions, field missions and visits of international organizations
Applicants must be international PhD student or students about to commence with their doctoral projects, especially from developmental regions and nondemocratic countries.
A ‘Motivation letter’ (1 page, not more!) in which you highlights your interest in development and sustainable issues, how you connect the program with your project idea(s), and how the program can help in the actualization of such projects.
A curriculum vitae (CV)
A reference letter from your doctoral supervisor showing support for your involvement in the program. For those yet to start a reference letter from your prospective supervisor or professor.
First selection will be made on the basis of the application, followed by a second selection based on interview and performance during probation window.
(click on the image to enlarge it)
Dr. Kristina Wopat
Prüferstraße 2, Zimmer 2.409
Telefon +49 3731 39 3026
Kristina [dot] Wopatgrafa [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Prüferstr. 2, Zimmer 2.403
Telefon +49 3731 39 3027
empowergrafa [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de