History

1928

  • Founding and management of the chair of rolling mill technology in the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. mont. O. Emicke
  • Establishment one of the first test rolling mills for the student education in Germany

1942

  • The chair of rolling mill technology becomes the Institute of Metal Forming, also under the direction of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. mont. O. Emicke
  • The Institute is located in the building of today's 1st Physical Institute.

1946

  • After the reopening of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg after the Second World War Dipl.-Ing. Dr. jur. C. Netter becomes the head of the institute
  • Restriction of the institute to the basic mathematical and natural sciences of students in the direct study of metal forming and the teaching of the engineering disciplines mechanics, machine elements, technical thermodynamics and electrical engineering
  • The chair is equipped with a rolling mill, a pull-bench, a stampf and a pneumatic hammer

1952

  • Relocation of the institute to the Weisbach-Haus
  • Establishment of own mechanical and electrotechnical workshop

1954-1958

  • Appointment of Dipl.-Ing. G. Juretzek as professor for metal forming and the director of the institute
  • Establishment of a second professorship at the Institute of Metal Forming, the professorship of Metallurgical Machine Engineering, by Prof. Dipl.-Ing. H. Green Nine

1958-1969

  • Relocation to a newly built building complex in the north-west of Freiberg
  • Expansion of the technical equipment of the institute of metal forming by the commissioning of a torsion- and camplastometer, a three-stand open 280er wire line, a Duo cold rolling mill, a wiredrawer, metallurgical machines, a pipe and rod pull, a coarse drawing machine and test presses as well as various furnaces

1970-1991

  • Appointment of Dr.-Ing. A. Hensel as professor and director of the Institute of Metal Forming
  • Further expansion of the experimental base by the commissioning of a 4-stage continuous rolling mill with a rolling speed of up to 70 m / s for wire-rolling with a cooling section and a loop laying head, a 3-line fine wire drawing machine, a cold-band aluminizing system for fire aluminizing, a second torsion plastometer and a Construction of a powder metallurgical laboratory with a powder mixer, a vacuum blast furnace and a sintering furnace as well as a 2.5 MN press

1991

  • Improvement of the technical equipment, so that demanding tasks of the process modeling can be taken over
  • Redefinition and differentiation of the teaching content in the course of structural, scientific and personnel renewal

1992-1999

  • Appointment of Dr.-Ing. habil. W. Lehnert as Professor of Forming Technology and director of the Institute
  • Processing and financing of numerous project topics on the problem of material and process influence in metal forming by the industry as well as the public sector
  • Transformation of the teaching to a modern lecture, seminar and internship offer brings national and international recognition to the application-oriented subject forming technology

1999-2019

  • Head of the Institute and Professorship for Forming Technology by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rudolf Kawalla
  • Extensive installation and renovation of technical equipment for improved material characterization and forming technology development

2019-today

  • Head of the Institute and the Professorship for Forming Technology by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ulrich Prahl