Master degree programme "Nanotechnology"
The focus of nanotechnology is on technologies that deal with structures and processes in the nanometer range. Material-specific properties are crucial for the functionality of nanomaterials and nanostructures in energy, environmental and health-related applications as well as in information and communications electronics. Thus the aim is to optimize the nanomaterial by size & shape, composition and manufacturing process towards the aimed functionalities.
Bachelor graduates with a scientific or engineering degree with a materials related focus are qualified for the master's program Nanotechnology in order to develop a wide variety of questions on nanosystems on their own.
- interdisciplinary linking of physical, chemical and material-technical basics with special knowledge for the production and application of nanomaterials,
- in-depth knowledge of materials science, especially in nanoscopic systems,
- special knowledge of nanotechnology applications, e.g. sensors, nanoelectronic components, catalysts or energy storage or harvesting systems,
- independently working on scientific issues,
- the presentation of scientific knowledge in oral and written form.
In numerous elective courses and through an extensive research laboratory as well as with the master's thesis, the students acquire an individually tailored specialization in the broad field of nanotechnology.
The Master of Science in nanotechnology is qualified for scientific work and for work as an engineer in research and development.
The applications include all areas of research, development, manufacturing and quality assurance of nanotechnology. In companies of the following economic sectors and at research institutes, nanotechnologists are needed to solve innovative material science issues:
- Chemical industry
- Semiconductor industry
- Medical and pharmaceutical industry
- Automotive suppliers
- Aerospace sector
- Information/Communication industry
- Environmental sector
- Energy supply
Other fields of activity of a Master of science are:
- Scientific education and research activities at universities, academies or as a science journalist
- independent entrepreneur
- public administrations