If you have a specific question that is not answered below, please write us an e-mail to internationalattu-freiberg [dot] de and we will be happy to help!

Please address all e-mails with regard to admission-related queries to zulassungsbueroatzuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de.


1. Questions about the application

2. Questions about the application portal

  • Before the application/registration
  • During the application/registration
  • After the application/registration

1. Questions about the application


What are the application deadlines?

Information on the application deadlines can be found on our webpage at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes.

Do my application documents need to be certified by the embassy in my home country?

Please refer to the information provided on our web page.

Admission requirements

I am interested to study one of the offered international Master’s degree programmes. Do I need to learn German?

Geomatics for Mineral Resource Management (B1) and Computational Materials Science (A1) require a German certificate at the time of application. For other English-speaking programmes it is not obligatory. As for our German Master's degree programs, you will find further information below the section “Entry Requirements” at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/apply-master

German-speaking programmes require DSH 2 or 3 to study. 

The pre-study courses offered at our university are intensive courses that greatly improve your German language skills. Intensive Courses are available at B2 and C1 level. The C1 course also prepares you for the "DSH" ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang") which is necessary to change the status from your conditional admission to unconditional admission and begin your studies at our university eventually.

Information about the pre-study German language courses can be found on our website at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/languages/german-courses/preparatory-intensive-german-courses.

Is there a specific requirement to the IELTS scores or does the stated IELTS score indicate the overall score?

The Study Regulations define a minimum band score which you can find in our websites. The minimum band score refers to the overall band score. If your overall band score meets the stated minimum band score, the admission requirements are fulfilled. 

My previous studies were completely held in English language. Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test result to prove my command of English?

TOEFL and IELTS are the standard certificates to prove the proficiency in English language.

Each course of study has its own study regulations with specific admission requirements including the required English proficiency. Please check https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes to learn more about our study programmes and their individual requirements.

Moreover, the embassies prefer official language certificates. We therefore recommend that you take the IELTS or TOEFL test before the application.

Would you check my documents to be sure if I am eligible to apply for a degree programme?

We ask for your kind understanding that the review of application documents is only possible in the context of a regular application. We do not carry out any pre-evaluations.

I have a bachelor’s degree in the field of … and I am interested in studying at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. What are my options?

Each Master's degree programme comes with individual admission requirements. You will find a complete overview of our study programmes as well as the respective requirements at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes. Please check the websites and admission requirements on your own. If your Bachelor's degree suits the required qualification, the examination board or selection committee respectively will decide after you provided a complete application package according to the website. 

My CGPA score is X.X. Will I be admitted?

Due to the high number of applicants, we beg your indulgence that we are unable to pre-check applications.

Even though there is no fixed CGPA at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, each Selection Committee has defined its own criteria. The Selection Committee defines the CGPA for admission each semester according to the number of applicants and their qualification and performance. The best candidates will be chosen: The better your score, the better the chance to be considered for the specific programme.


How much is the tuition fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg?

There is no tuition fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. The semester fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg amounts to 94 euros. It consists of 87 euros social contribution for the Studentenwerk Freiberg and 7 euros for the student council (Studentenrat).

A fee of 300 euros is payable if you are planning on doing a second degree (e.g. you already have a Master's degree and want to obtain a second Master's degree).

Further information is available on our website at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/arrival/after-arrival/semester-fee-and-enrolment.

As an international student, can I apply for a scholarship to get financial support during my studies in Germany?

TU Bergakademie Freiberg is a state funded university. We do not offer scholarships to international students prior to their studies. Please check with the scholarship database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - information only available in German: https://www.daad.de/ausland/studieren/stipendium/de/70-stipendien-finden-und-bewerben/

Scholarships are available during your studies, please check our webpage at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/going-abroad/funding#ausschreibungen


May I apply for multiple courses?

English Master’s Degree Programs: 

Please apply using our online applicant portal. Usually, we only accept one application from the selection of our international study programmes. Upon submission of your application using the applicant portal, our admissions office will check your eligibility for the chosen study program. If you are not eligible for the desired first-choice program and you receive the rejection before the official deadline, you will get the possibility to apply for a second program. 

German Master’s Degree Programs: 

Please apply using our online applicant portal. Upon submission of your application using the applicant portal, our admissions office will check your eligibility for the chosen study program. If you are not eligible for the desired program, they will offer you a second choice from the study programs available at TU BAF.

German Bachelor’s Degree Programs:

All applications to our Bachelor degree programs are to be submitted through the uni-assist portal. In this case, please note that every application needs to be paid by yourself.

I hold the B1 German language certificate according to the entry requirements for German degree programmes, but I have not yet successfully passed all four modules in it. Will the certificate be accepted for the application?

Entry requirements to German degree programmes

In general and as for our German degree programmes, you need to provide proof that you hold the B1 language certificate according to CEFR at the time of application. Should you have not yet completed all four modules (reading, listening, writing, speaking), you may use the certificate for your application. Once your application is successful and you got the conditional admission to our university, our language department will ask for your language certificate again upon your registration.

What type of Visa should I apply for?

If you wish to study in Germany and you are already admitted to our university, be it a direct general admission or a conditional admission, you can apply for a study visa if you can prove that you have enough money to support yourself.

The Federal Foreign Office offers a helpful Visa Navigator that will sure help you to determine the right visa for you. You can find the service here. The language can be changed in the upper right corner.

Please note that you need a national visa to enter Germany. After arrival, you need to apply for a residence permit at the local foreigners office.

Top of page

2. Questions about the application portal

Here you will find all necessary informations about our online application Portal:

Questions before your application/ registration:

I do not have my full semester transcript yet. I am currently finishing my last semester. Can I apply with only the transcript from my first to my current semester and submit my final one before the enrolment?

Unfortunately that is not possible. You need to complete your Bachelor's successfully at the application deadline to apply for an English speaking Master's degree at our university.

Should I send my documents by post to the university or is the online application enough for now?

After you can see the form “application for enrolment” (when you got an admission offer) it is necessary to post the documents.

I want to apply for the following semester in your university, do I need to certify my documents by German Embassy?

Your documents need to be certified but not obligatory from the german Embassy in your country. You can get an official translation from an expert translator. Below this link you will find all necessary information regarding the certification of your documents: https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/during-studies/formalities/authentication-of-documents

Do I need to translate my documents into German or is an English translation enough?

Your documents need to be translated into German or in English, one of this languages is enough.

Due to the Covid pandemic situation, I have not yet received my degree certificate for my bachelor's course. Can I apply with a "provisional degree certificate" instead?

If you have a „provisional degree certificate“ you can apply with it via the online application portal. 

Questions during the application/ registration:

I couldn't activate my account as it is said that an error with an ID occurred during the registration. What is the next step to solve this?

Please contact the Admissions office in such cases. Also it is important to tell us the error ID.

I got a German mail regarding my application status but I am unable to understand it. Is it possible to get an English E-Mail?

The E-Mails regarding the change of your application status will be send to you automatically. If you applied on the German website you only get German notifications. Please use an online translator tool to translate the message.

I left the average grade section empty since I was provided to do so in the information area. But, when I am trying to proceed, an error message is being displayed and it prompts me to select a grade between 1-4. What should I do?

Please leave the fields „Average Grade“ and „Date of acquirement“ empty. If your degree was earned outside Germany, you can leave those fields empty. After that you should be able to proceed with your application.

The online application portal is asking me about the Type of Entrance Qualification. Which one of the options should I pick?

Please choose the option „Other acquisition of the HZB abroad (general higher education entrance qualification) “.

The application portal is asking me about my university background. What should I type in here?

If your bachelor degree is the related degree to your desired Master program then your bachelor degree does not count as a previously completed degree program. In this case you have to select „Studies completed? = No“ and the Semesters studied so far as „0“. If you have a completed Master's degree program, then you have to pick the options „Studies completed? = Yes“.

I got stuck on the IELTS proof page on the online application portal. An error message is showing that my grade is not valid, what can I do?

The online application portal is using the German grading scheme. Please Note: Write your grade with only one decimal place and use a comma instead of a point.

In the application there is a field asking me about the date of my bachelor degree. I am not sure what date I have to put in there.

In this field state the date of the award of your Bachelor's degree, please. 

After the application:

I successfully submitted an online application on the online portal. Now I want to submit another application, is this possible?

You can only submit one application at the moment. If you want to submit another application you have to withdraw your old one in order to submit the new application. 

I accidently applied for the summer semester. My course of choice is only available in the winter semester, what can I do to change it?

You can withdraw your current application and create a new one. In the new application you are able to change the semester that you want to start to study.

I noticed that my name is incomplete. Is there a possibility to edit my name in the portal?

Personal information in the portal like your name can only be edited by our university staff. Please request such changes to the Admissions office.

How can I upload my recommendation letters and my full motivation letter? Is there any possibility to upload them separately?

You only need to upload the documents which are required in the online application portal. There is no need to upload other documents.

I want to make some changes for the subject matter in the CV and motivation letter but it's not possible to edit the contents. What can I do?

Please send your CV document as a PDF and the motivation letter as a Word file to the Admissions office, there we will change your current document with the updated one.

How should I send the signed application form and the documents mentioned in the application? By e-mail or by post?

The signed application form and the certified copies of your education documents and language certificate have to be send by post mail to the admissions office. All remaining documents can be send by e-mail.

I have got an admission offer for the winter semester 2022/ 2023. When should I send my application documents?

We suggest that you send all the documents after your visa is approved. The deadline for enrolment for winter semester 2022/2023 is 13 October 2022 but we recommend to send everything until 30 September 2022 due to internal processing times.

Top of page