On this web page, we have gathered the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) for our prospective students. Please also check our Corona-related FAQ.

If you have a specific question that is not answered below, please write us an e-mail to internationalattu-freiberg [dot] de and we will be happy to help!

Please address all e-mails with regard to admission related queries to zulassungsbueroatzuv [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de.

Last updated: September 23, 2021

I am interested to study one of the offered international Master’s degree programmes. Do I need to learn German?

Geomatics for Mineral Resource Management (B1) and Computational Materials Science (A1) require a German certificate at application. For other English-speaking programmes it is not obligatory. You will find the information below the section “Admission Requirements” at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/apply-master

German-speaking programmes require DSH 2 or 3 to study. 

The pre-study courses offered at our university are intensive courses that greatly improve your German language skills. Course are available at B2 and C1 level. The C1 course also prepares you for the "DSH" ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang") which is necessary to change the status from your conditional admission to unconditional admission and begin your studies at our university eventually.

Information about the pre-study German language courses can be found on our website at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/languages/german-courses/preparatory-intensive-german-courses.

My CGPA score is X.X. Will I be admitted?

Due to the high number of applicants, we beg your indulgence that we are unable to pre-check applications.

Even though there is no fixed CGPA at TU Bergakademie Freiberg, each Selection Committee has defined its own criteria. The Selection Committee defines the CGPA for admission each semester according to the number of applicants and their qualification and performance. The best candidates will be chosen: The better your score, the better the chance to be considered for the specific programme.

What is the application deadline for study programme XY?

Information on the application deadlines can be found on our webpage at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes.

My previous studies were completely held in English language. Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test result to prove my command of English?

TOEFL and IELTS are the standard certificates to prove the proficiency in English language.

Each course of study has its own study regulations with specific admission requirements including the necessary English knowledge. Below this link: https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes you can find the relevant information.

Moreover, the embassies prefer official language certificates. We therefore recommend that you take the IELTS or TOEFL test before the application.

As an international student, can I apply for a scholarship with financial support during my studies in Germany?

TU Bergakademie Freiberg is a state funded university. We do not offer scholarships to international students prior to their studies. Please check with the Scholarship database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - information only available in German: https://www.daad.de/ausland/studieren/stipendium/de/70-stipendien-finden-und-bewerben/

Scholarships are available during your studies, please check our webpage at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/international/going-abroad/funding#ausschreibungen 

What is the tuition fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg?

There is no tuition fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. The semester fee at TU Bergakademie Freiberg amounts to 94 euros and consists of 87 euros social contribution for the Studentenwerk Freiberg and 7 euros for the student council (Studentenrat).

A fee of 300 euros is payable if you are planning on doing a second degree (e.g. you already have a Master degree and want to obtain a second Master degree).

May I apply for multiple courses?

You can send in multiple applications depending on the study program you are interested in. However, please take into account that your query needs to be differentiated as follows:

English Master’s Degree Programs: 

Multiple applications are accepted. Please submit one application per study program and make sure that you meet the admission requirements as outlined on the respective web pages of our study programs.

German Master’s Degree Programs: 

You have the possibility to fill two study programs in the application form. Our admissions office will then check, if you can be admitted to the study program of your first choice. If not, they will check your second choice. If none of both choices can be accepted, they will check with you if you are interested in another study program that you might be eligible for.

German Bachelor’s Degree Programs:

All applications to our Bachelor degree programs are to be submitted through the uni-assist portal. In this case, please note that every application needs to be paid by yourself.

I have a bachelor’s degree in the field of … and I am interested in studying at TU Bergakademie Freiberg. What are my options?

Each Master´s programme has different admission requirements. You can find the study programmes as well as the respective requirements at https://tu-freiberg.de/en/studies/study-programmes. Please check the websites and admission requirements on your own. If your Bachelor's suits the required qualification, the examination board / selection committee will decide after you provided a complete application package according to the website. 

What type of Visa should I apply for?

If you wish to study in Germany and you are already admitted to our university, be it a direct general admission or a conditional admission, you can apply for a study visa if you can prove that you have enough money to support yourself.

The Federal Foreign Office offers a helpful Visa Navigator that will sure help you to determine the right visa for you. You can find the service here. The language can be changed in the upper right corner.

Please note that you need a national visa to enter Germany. After arrival, you need to apply for a residence permit at the local foreigners office.

Can you check my documents for me to be sure if I am eligible to apply for a master in ABC?

Please do understand that the review of application documents is only possible in the context of a regular application. We do not carry out any pre-evaluations.