Refugees as prospective students
1. Preparation for studies
1.1 Courses of study
1.2 Language preparation
1.3 Subject-related preparation
2. Information about application and enrollment
2.1 Application requirements
2.2 Application documents
2.3 Application deadlines
2.4 Application address
3. Service and further information
3.1 Financial Issues
3.2 Living in Freiberg
3.3 Study in Germany
3.4 Contact Person
Refugees with sufficient qualification and a residence permit of more than one semester are allowed to study at TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
The academic year has two semesters: winter semester (1 October to 31 March) and summer semester (1 April to 30 September).
TU Bergakademie Freiberg offers a wide range for Bachelor, Master and Diploma courses in the fields of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Geo Sciences, Engineering as well as Economics. You can study in German or in English. In most degree courses you can start in summer and in winter semester.
Here you will find an overview of study courses at TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
Test to determine the language level
onSET offers a test to determine the language level. Registered refugees can take this test free of charge– in German or in English.
The onSET-result will help you to find a suitable language course. Universities and language course providers can assign the right course to the participants.
German language courses
TU Bergakademie Freiberg offers German intensive courses for the following levels: A2/B1 and B2/C1.
Duration: 1 Semester | 24 lessons per week | 45 minutes for each lesson
Please note: To pass the course successfully, it is necessary to spend at least the same period of time for independently preparationen and follow-up of teaching contents (homework, repetition of study subjects).
For further information please contact Ms Bellmann:
E-Mail: Kerstin [dot] Bellmanniuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Test to proof the ability to study
Registered refugees who are interested in studying in Germany can take a free test at refugees.testas.de.
- residence permit of more than one semester
- Higher education admission
- German language knowledge (at least A1) and/or English language knowledge
- Completed form Application for Admission for Foreign Students
- Additional information to the application form
- Certified copies of education certificates
- Officially attested translations of the above into German or English
- Certified copy of certificate of German language knowledge (proof of at least 150 lessons)
- Up-to-date passport photo
- If you can not submit complete application documents, please submit everything available and explain in written form, why documents are missing.
- If you do not have proof of 150 hours of German or English language instruction, please submit every available German or English language certificate (e.g. of the language course that you are currently taking).
With study preparation (meaning: before you can start studying your desired subject, you have to pass either "Studienkolleg" or a German language intensive course finishing with the DSH exam (DSH 2) or an equivalent).
If you would like to take the "DSH-extern exam" prior to your studies the application deadlines are as well:
- 30 April for the following winter term
- 31 October for the following summer term
Without study preparation courses (meaning: you are ready to study in your desired degree course without further preparation; holding at least DSH-2 language certificate or equivalent plus your university entrance qualifications match those required in Germany):
- 15 July for the following winter term
- 15 January for the following summer term
Please send your complete application to this addres:
TU Bergakademie Freiberg
If you want to safe shipping costs, you can also throw in your application in the letter box outside the university main building in Akademiestraße 6, Freiberg.
BAFöG is a state´s support to finance your study. Under certain conditions refugees are entitled to benefits. This depends on the current residence status.
Entiteld to BAFöG without a waiting period
- recognized persons entitled to asylum,
- recognized refugees in line with Geneva Convention on Refugees,
- people granted subsidiary protection.
Tolerated persons and refugees for humanitarian reasons will receive BAFöG after at least 15 months in Germany.
All information information to apply for BAFöG you will find on the website of the Studentenwerk of TU Bergakademie Freiberg.
Please note: Refugees who take part in preparatory specialised courses as well as language courses are entitled to receive BAFöG for pupils. In this case please contact also the appropriate Jobcenter.
Source: BAMF - Hochschulzugang und Studium von Flüchtlingen | Eine Handreichung für Hochschulen und Studentenwerke
Here you will find all information about living in Freiberg like housing, insurance as well as freetime offers and activities.
Film about the German higher education system, the different types of universities and degrees.
Six stories from different cities
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) publishes the website www.study-in.de. It provides valuable information about studying in Germany.
- DAAD brochures and magazines on study and research in Germany (free PDF downloads)
- German Academic Exchange Service: Refugees at universities - programmes and measures
- Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
ERASMUS+ with partner countries
Prüferstraße 2, Zimmer 3.406
Telefon +49 3731 39-2645
Fax +49 3731 39-3659
Klara [dot] Schoenfelderiuz [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de
Support for refugees as prospective students