Structured Doctoral Studies
Following, you will find useful information around the structured doctoral studies.
- Advantages of the structured doctoral studies at a glance
- Registration for the structured doctoral studies
- Structured doctoral studies / Application for the substitution of the doctoral oral examination
- Special rules of the faculties
- Special rules of Graduate Schools of the Collaborative Research Centres
You have any further questions?
Please have a look at FAQs
Besides the research on the doctorate thesis the structured doctoral studies include the completion of a subject-related study programme as well as obtaining additional interdisciplinary qualifications. These are key skills that will prepare them directly for their future roles as executives and will open excellent career prospects. For this, we offer a wide range of courses for you.
A Supervision Agreement, which must at least contain the research and learning objectives, a timetable and a work plan and details of annual reports can be concluded between the mentor and the doctoral candidate.
Contacts with a relevant professional institution (business, research institute etc.) or with a cooperating university if this is appropriate for the matter of the doctorate, are being supported as far as this is required for the doctorate.
In the course of structured doctoral studies teaching activities will be awarded with credit points.
The viva can be substituted upon application after the successful completion of the structured doctoral studies and the achievement of at least 15 credit points (rule for the faculties 3, 5 and 6).
You already have to decide at an early stage of your doctoral studies if you would like to pass through the structured doctoral studies. To be on the safe side an application in which courses, lectures etc. in substitution of the viva are proposed (upon consultation with your supervisor), should be submitted to the Faculty Board at the beginning of your doctoral studies. If the Faculty Board approves your application, you have the right to substitute the viva if you have accomplished all the required work.
Rules of the several faculties:
|Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sciences||Submission of a detailed study programme and a concept for obtaining additional qualifications confirmed by the supervisor at the beginning of the doctoral studies, latest before you pass the first examination (valid only for doctoral students who have submitted their Declaration of Intent before 07th of august 2017).|
|Faculty of Chemistry and Physics||Recommendation: Submission of applications for the recognition of subject-specific courses/modules that will be graded at least one year prior to the submission of the doctoral thesis at the Faculty Board. The selected courses/modules have to be confirmed by your supervisor.|
|Faculty of Geosciences, Geoengineering and Mining||Application for the substitution of the doctoral oral examination (Rigorosum) can be submitted at any time up to the submission of the doctoral thesis.|
|Faculty of Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering||Registration for participation in the structured doctoral studies, application for substitution of the doctoral oral examination (Rigorosum) and submission of a detailed study programme and concept for the gain of additionally subject-specific qualifications (confirmed by the supervisor) to the Faculty Board prior to the start of the training programme, at least before passing the first examination.|
|Faculty of Materials Science and Technology||The Faculty Board will decide on an individual basis about the proposed programme of the structured doctoral studies. The application has to be submitted in the initial stage of the doctoral studies.|
|Faculty of Business Administration||The Faculty Board decides about the application for the substitution of the doctoral oral examination (Rigorosum) on an individual basis only at the end of the doctoral studies when the doctoral thesis has been submitted and the Faculty Board opens the doctorate procedure.|
Structured doctoral studies / Application for the substitution of the doctoral oral examination (Rigorosum) - Framework
- The viva can only be substituted if at least 15 credits have been gained. Doctoral student who are a member of an SFB and doctoral students from Faculty of Materials Sciende and Technology have to gain 30 credits.
- Of these, 4 credits must come from subject-specific courses that are graded (only for faculties 3, 5 and 6). The type of assessments is described within the module manual of the respective study programme. The grade for the structured doctorate training programme is based on the graded courses (average grade of all grades if more than one graded lecture or course have been attended).
- Up to six credits can be taken into account for teaching activities.
- The prerequisite for the recognition of achievements in courses from Bachelor’s, Master’s or Diplom degrees is that these achievements have not already been gained in the framework of those courses qualifying to undertake the doctorate.
- The faculties and graduate schools can make additional requirements and can decide on the relative proportion of subject-related programme of study and interdisciplinary qualifications. (see tables below).
- Credits from courses at other German universities or research institutes given specifically for graduate students will be recognized. This recognition will be decided upon by the Faculty Board.
- The faculties can make additional requirements and can decide on the maximum or minimum amount of special/additional performances.
- Only such performances can be taken into account, which have been done within the official period of the doctorate - in the "Declaration of intent" mentioned period between the start of the doctorate and the date of submission of the thesis.
- Doctoral students who do their doctorate within a Graduate School, need to fulfill the requirements of this Graduate School. The required amount of CP can be higher than mentioned in the Regulations for the Award of Doctorates.
For your application for the substitution of the doctoral oral examination (Rigorosum) by equivalent academic achievements please use the following form
Please pay careful attention to the specific rules of your faculty regarding the acceptance of certain performances mentioned below!
Please take into consideration that the faculties and graduate schools can make additional requirements and can decide on the relative proportion of subject-related programme of study and interdisciplinary qualifications. These special rules of the faculties and graduate schools are described within the following tables:
Rules of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sciences (valid for doctoral studens who have submitted the Declaration of Intent before 07th of August 2017)
(Dekanatsrätin: Pia Wittenburg)
Rules of the Faculty of Chemistry and Physics
(Dekanatsrätin: Dr. Jana Kriehme)
Rules of the Faculty of Geosciences,Geoengineering and Mining
(Dekanatsrätin: Andrea Docekal)
Rules of the Faculty of Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering
(Dekanatsrätin: Dana Gehler)
Rules of the Faculty of Materials Science and Technology: Please ask for details either the Dean of the faculty rafajaww [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (Prof. Rafaja), or the Dekanatsrätin moertersww [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (Dr. Mörters)
Rules of the Faculty of Business Administration: Individual case decision of the Faculty Board; please ask for details either the Dean of the faculty Dekan [dot] Fak6bwl [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (Prof. Felden), or the Dekanatsrätin Annett [dot] Pressebwl [dot] tu-freiberg [dot] de (Ms. Annett Preße)
SFB 799 "TRIP-Matrix-Composite"
SFB 920 "Multi-Functional Filters for Metal Melt Filtration – a contribution toward Zero Defect Materials" available in German language
Dr. Erich Krüger Research School - Biohydrometallurgical Center for Strategic Elements